Trumpet to Valve Bone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mconour, Sep 15, 2008.

1. mconour

mconour New Friend

Feb 20, 2007
    Lake Ozark, MO
    Due to a lack of 'bone players in my area, I'm considering doubling on valve bone. I've never played bone or read bass clef. Can anyone give me suggestions on where or how to start? I should have a valve bone available soon. I'm not giving up trumpet, our big band needs bone players and I thought I'd try doubling. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    mconour,
    forget the valve bone. Just get a normal slide trombone. You will learn the slide positions fast and have a lot more fun with a better instrument for the same money!

Wit reading bass cleff you start in the same place as with the trumpet: long tones and scales! Then intervals. Pick up a hymnbook-hundreds of easy bass clef parts!

3. mconour

mconour New Friend

Feb 20, 2007
    Lake Ozark, MO
    Thank you for your help. I have easy access to the valve bone and it's free. That's why I thought I'd give it a try rather than the slide version. I'm a little concerned as to how the 'bone mouthpiece will affect my trumpet chops. I guess I'll try it and see how it goes. Thanks again.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I play tenor horn with a trombone mouthpiece still today with no detrimental effects on my trumpet chops. As a matter of fact, your breathing will probably improve quite a bit!

5. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    Your biggest hurddle will be the mental part of playing, it will help with your transposing skills for sure.

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    In addition to the above, treble clef euph charts are very common and the valve 'bone' is in that same class.

OLDLOU>>