Trumpet Transcription

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BolivarBaLues, Sep 19, 2006.

1. BolivarBaLues

BolivarBaLues New Friend

Sep 19, 2006
    I'm a guitarist and I'm working on working on learning Lee Morgan's trumpet solo on Art Blakey and The Jazz Messenger's' "Moanin'" and I've noticed several notes with either "1/4" or "1/2" written above the note. I'm guessing that this tells the soloist to "bend" the note upward either a quarter or a half step. Can anyone tell me if that is the case? Also, if that is what's going on, is the note that's written out where the note ends up at, or is it the note that is played and then bent upwards? In other words, using the solo as an example, the third note in the tenth measure is a D (concert C) and "1/2" is written above the note. So does the soloist start at D and wind up at Eb, or does he start at C# and end up at D?

Here's part of the solo:

[​IMG]

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I don't think you will see a 1/4 on the page, although 1/2 will be there alot. That is a technique called a half valve. You press some valves down half way and you get a 'moan' kind of ofsound. Lee uses this technique alot. It is, in my knowledge, impossible to replicate on a guitar unfortunately.

Listen to the solo and read your lift of the tune and see what he does andhow it sounds, then sit down with your guitar and try to imitate it as bestyou can.