Trumpet Trio

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet blower88, Aug 20, 2005.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    So for the last two years, me and my two real good trumpet friends have done a Trumpet Trio at our State Solo/Ensemble festival. My sophmore year we played "Bugelers Holiday", last year we played a piece I wrote called "Waltz of the Trumpets", and now we are looking for a piece to play this year (I wrote another one we could play, but we found out last year that it has to be a published piece inorder to get a score/rateing). The main thing I don't know to much of in music is small chamber groups, I always have a hard time finding good music to play, and I really don't know of any other Trumpet Trios. Do any of you know of a good one for us to play? We're fairly advanced and can play some pretty demanding pieces. If I'm correct Buglers Holiday is a grade 3+ and that was pretty easy for us, so we're probably going to want to play something in the grade 4+ or grade 5 range. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
    -Dave

2. trmptr

trmptr Pianissimo User

May 10, 2005
    Bemidji, MN
    Rafael Mendez wrote a bunch of great, and hard trios:

Tre Mendez Polka
    Chiapanecas

and many others. They should all be readily available.

Del

3. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    Y'all use a different scoring system and a different solo/ensemble system entirely where you are, you know that? Here, the music you play of any difficulty has to be on the Prescribed Music List, and the difficulty is scored as 1, 2, or 3, 1 being the hardest. The numbers are kind of strange, because you can find some harder 2s than some 1s...IE there is a 3 movement piece that is a 2 that requires a fabulous range, and then you have pieces like Pines of the Appian Way as 1...

Bugler's Holiday is a 1 here, as well as Clarke's Carnival of Venice... it spans over the horizon...

Oh. about your problem...dunno :shock:

:-P

4. trumpet blower88

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I'm in Arizona, as far as I know we just use the grade level the piece is, ie: 1-5. 1 being elementry school stuff, 5 being advanced highschool/college stuff. They technically have a list of pieces you can play, but for the most part, if it's published, it finds it's way on the list...

5. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Dave,

You've inspire me to go through my files of trumpet trios. Even though I have many trios, not many are what I'd call contest pieces.

But one, "The Triumvirate" looks to be a good one. As I'm sitting here looking it over, it might be worth a try. The 2nd and 3rd pages have many sixteeth notes as well as some triple tonguing. (ok, maybe a lot of triple tonguing) :-?

Hope this helps.
    Warren

6. trumpet blower88

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ

Ah yes... Just the kind of post I was hopeing for....

Thanks, I'll check that out on monday and see if I can't find it in the music library at school.

7. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    You might want to check out the Mancini Trumpet Quartets. Originally they were trios, but the fourth part was added later. Great books to play with your friends. They vary in difficulty.

8. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    BigBadWolf,

Great suggestion! I love these books.

There's a Bach Fughetta that would work really well. There are two selections from Midsummer Night's Dream by Mendelsohn (Scherzo and Nocturne) that are really nice. There are a couple of nice Corelli Suites. And lots of Tone Poems (very challenging!).

trumpet blower88,

If you're interested in these just let me know. I have the books in my library and you're welcome to borrow them (I haven't used them in a number of years and I can't see any opportunities in the near future to be needing them).