trumpet & trombone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by courtois.evoII, Dec 16, 2008.

1. courtois.evoII

courtois.evoII New Friend

May 8, 2008
    Temanggung
    hi, anyone does play more than trumpet?

i've been play trumpet(mayor) & trombone,
    can anyone give me some advice to practice it?

must i practise it only trumpet than trombone in next day or?

Thx

2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I was told when practicing to start out on the big instrument and then go to the smaller one. I was also told that it will not hurt your chops and may even help them by doing this. Again - I was told - means that I am not in the position to say that this is the case, but maybe someone like rowuk will step in and give the right advice.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Many years ago I used to double on trombone. the trick is to get used to changeing horns will you practice. at first it will feel funny as you switch esp from bone to trumpet. In time your embochure will be able to make the switch qiuckly and smoothly

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I play my sons tube quite a bit. Both instruments one right after the other. Your playing only suffers when you don't practice twice as much (with 2 axes, three times if you need Piano too!).

5. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    There's a soprano trombone that looks kind of funny but sounds interesting. I haven't yet played one, but hopefully someday I'll get to. I understand they (at least sometimes) take trumpet mouthpieces.

Not quite what you're looking for, though, I'm guessing!

6. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    practicing trumpet + piano + guitar at reasonable amounts per day on top of doing homework and seeing friends is getting tough for me. Piano is usually first out. Then homework, then friends. ROFL

EDIT: Soprano trombone? Trombumpet? (Slide trumpet) my friend bought one of these off eBay. He's a bass player and has no brass experience whatsoever. It was sitting on a shelf doing nothing at his dorm at Humber so he lent it to me and I played it once or twice. It's really not as fun as a trombone or a trumpet though. So it's in the music room at school, because my other friend was going to take it home but hasn't. It's a really neglected little instrument.

7. bigdog

bigdog Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2005
    hawaii
    hi evoII, i play both trumpet and a valve bone
    for me if playing a gig that needs both horns i make sure that the mouthpiece for the trumpet is slightly wider and deeper, not too much tho !!!
    just so that when i do change,usually one after the other, the transition isn't that abrupt
    it makes the changing to and from more easy for me

if the gig calls for just your trumpet use a piece that you are comfortable with
    just for that gig and gives you the full range of your horn

when recording do the trumpet then move up to the larger horns, play some scales or so between changes so your lips get used to the change
    hope that helps,......... oh one more thing............ "practice"
    have fun,
    aloha,