trumpet valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kingmack, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Kingmack

Kingmack New Friend

Mar 7, 2015
    i just purchased a tristar cornet and ive heard they were not the best, i really haven't found much wrong with it exept the valves on mine. they are really scratchy and i was wondering if there was a way of sanding the valves to prevent this. is this possible?

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Sanding is probably exactly what Tristar does.
    :)D)
    BUT
    No. Do NOT sand any valves.

3. Davidcat

Davidcat New Friend

Jan 22, 2015
    There is liquid polishment, any paint shop must have it. Aply that inside valve casing and valves, and stay as much time as you can (no less than 4-5 hours) actioning te valves, when tired, rest, the product dryes then in a white powder. add some fresh polisment and again, hard and long action in the valves. In two or tree days of and valve actioning to acomplish these 5 ours it would be fine. I think that products for clean vitroceramics and induction kitchens must work too.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Do NOT polish the valves! The "scratches" come from a procedure called "lapping" and need to be there to allow valve oil to properly work. The secret to decent valve action is not to buy junk and to make sure that the valves and casings are bone dry when oiled. Oil floats on water, so oiling moist valves simply eliminates any protection.

Do NOT ever polish valves - even on challenged instruments.

5. Davidcat

Davidcat New Friend

Jan 22, 2015
    Of course, the secret for lots of things is just money. But when you like homeworks and you enjoy learning about your instrument there is no money to pay this.

Laping is no problem in those valves, bads valve casings ever lap again.

From my humble.

6. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Keep working them, eventually they'll lossen up or detonate

7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    clean and oil - clean and oil repeat as often as needed. when you polish or lap your valves you are removing metal.

8. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    For us old school guys a good auto parts store sells port honeing kits that will fit down in your valve caseings 1-2 slow turns will help out if it is really that bad, but Asian manufacturing leaves out an all important final step of cleaning the hell out of a finished product. Probably just an extended break in period plus frequent thoroughly cleanings are in order, the valves on my Cecilio were a tough go at first but now are pretty nice the Mendini on the other hand well they just suck

9. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    The bolded part seems to be the standard now.
    I remember having to do that with my yamaha in high school 17 years ago and with the Andalucia I just bought. There was a ton of lapping material in the valves and even multiple cleanings later, i see it build up.

Just be aware of it, clean new horns, and keep them oiled. Don't hone or polish your valves!

10. ♠♥CORNET♣♦

♠♥CORNET♣♦ Pianissimo User

Oct 18, 2014
    New Jersey
    Buy a good horn! Not a piece of metal that a toddler could play.