Trumpet Wife

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, May 18, 2014.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Bet we are all wishing we were married to that! Ha. Wow. You know the old joke: My wife finally told me it was her or the trumpet. Now, sometimes when it is late at night and I'm laying in bed listening to the radio, and a great romantic trumpet song comes on, it makes me realize how much I really do miss that wife.

2. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Hey Guys,

Good therapy for a happy relationship.

Boys party: Brother and others.

22 May leave for UK on bike tour of England, Scotland, Skye, Ireland, Isle of Man (TT's), Isle of White then back to JHB. 3 whole weeks of beer, bikes and bints.

Girls party: wife, sister in law, niece.

Visiting Rome, Florence etc.etc.etc yawn,yawn. museums, churches and Latino's

Rather do the Alpha male thing any day.

Cheers

PaulD

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    If you're married to an opera singer (as I will soon be - 23 June, to be exact), you will be the minor part of the problem. Imagine waking up to Walküre, having breakfast with Fidelio, eating your lunch with Fliegender Holländer, enjoying some afternoon tea with Elektra and finally, having dinner sandwiched in between bits of Rosenkavalier, everything without the orchestra and at full blast, coupled with voice exercises and two dogs enthusiastically joining, your trumpet practise won't really be noticed.
    But I would not change any of it.

4. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    When were married for about ten years, my wife, knowing that I was looking to start playing a trumpet again, bought me a First Act Trumpet for Christmas. While she did not know that it was a POS, I thanked her and played it for about six months until I bought my own first horn. I still have it. I most probably will never play I again, but I still have it. Her only restriction on me is that I can only play in a couple of bands at any one time. Of course, I bought her a Mustang, and let her retire way early; and then, I built her a green house, a storage room in the basement, got her chickens, enlarged the garden, and just bought new windows and doors (one of which is a Dutch door); and just put in a stainless steel backsplash in the kitchen. Oh, and did I say that I bought her a Mustang?

I also built myself a practice room. Soundproofed, so I can play whenever I want, for as long as I can.

Cheers,

Gary

PS: Give them what they want, and you can get yours.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    BrotherBach - that girl is an angel - treat her well.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    My No.1 First Best Girl, and I, have each suffered the other for 37 years now, she encourages me with three bands and plenty of time playing Old Cars with the boys - in return I let her watch whatever she wants on TV and do the washing, I wash the dishes, and I also dirty the clothes. She is a highly talented Crafty person, and wields a mean needle - she is a fashion designer of note and has knocked out some stunning wedding dresses - she lets me buy my own overalls though. Ours is a 50:50 relationship and I am very very blessed.

7. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Thanks all.

Barliman2001. That reminds me of a funny story. I was staying in a posh hotel in downtown Washington D.C. for a meeting. As usual, I brought my trumpet and silent brass system to practice. In the room right next door to me, was a professional female opera singer who must have been preparing for a show. She was doing her exercises, arpeggios and all that. Her voice was really beautiful but also really loud. So, loud I could not even hear myself while using the practice mute. Terribly distracting. I thought, two can play that game and off came the mute. It was in the afternoon on lunch break, so I did not worry too much about disturbing the other hotel guests. But, I did learn that the opera gals do need a some kind of silent brass system of their own. I did not blast but when through Clarke I as soft as possible.

BB

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I'm confused. What is this "as soft as possible" thing you speak of?:-)

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I have a hard time getting any practice in here. Can only play when wife's away. However, at that time of day,SIL is usually sleeping:dontknow::roll::oops:

10. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Canton, Ohio. I have family there. Actually, almost all of them.

BB