Trumpet with braces... SUCKS

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jazzy816, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    So as you may be able to infer from the title, about a year ago I got braces, every brass players worst nightmare. I have transitioned into playing at a level I am satisfied with (however I know for a fact that it isn't anywhere near what I could do with them off) and eagerly await the day that my orthodontist rips them out. Until then I have a few questions to people who have been through or are going through what I am. My tone is fine (not great, but good), range is ok (high C most days), and I feel that I am lacking a bit in the endurance category. I can play for about a half hour if I play with the volume,range,and intensity I should be able to do. I can go an hour ish if I play more reserved with a few breaks in between. Any tips/helpful info/encouragement you can give would be amazingly appreciated by me!

Equipment info:

Holton Student Trumpet
    Bach 5C mouthpiece
    Getzen Eterna 900 Classic
    Full mouth of metal :(

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I've never had braces --but I have always wondered -- can't you put a plastic piece (like a football mpc) or something between your braces and lips -- so they don't cut you ----- sure, it might take a bit of getting used to, but so aren't the braces -- right?? --- just a thought I had ----

3. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    KT, I used to get this nasty wax from my orthodontist to protect my lips, but it would throw my embouchure so out of whack that I often would just suffer through playing without it. Not to mention the fact that I would be picking it out of my braces for a week afterward. This was back in the late '80s. I had braces for two years, spanning most of middle school.

4. Evergrey_rocks

Evergrey_rocks Piano User

Aug 18, 2013
    When I had braces, I was the best trumpet player in my middle school. I was first chair, I had great range and I didn't practice very much. I practiced only on Sundays for like 2.5 hours at a time. I had great endurance for that reason. As far as plastic lip bumpers, I hate them. They make it uncomfortable beyond words. But yeah, I have my braces off now and I play just as well.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Personally never had the problem with braces, nor did any student I tutored, so I can't ssy yeah or ney on any remedy, but just today I received the Fall 2013 catalog and on page 44 is a lip protector to place over braces by Jet Tone for only $9.99 (I disavow any interest in WWBW or Jet tone.)

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My dentist was really pushing me to get braces, but I really did not want to risk what it would do for my playing. My mother listened to me... what can I say, I had her wrapped around my finger. Now I am an old man, and play the trumpet fabulously, ugly as sin, but play the trumpet fabulously.

7. geebee

geebee New Friend

Aug 21, 2013
    SW Missouri
    I played with a brace in when I was a kid. I had a plate with what looked like two broken safety pins that wrapped around my eye teeth to pull them back in line. I suffered with bleeding inner lips and I actually wore a hole in the enamel on the tooth next to the eye teeth from the ends of the wires rubbing on them.
    It's one thing that parents should be aware of when they let their kids start playing at an early age. There is a lot of development going on in that young mouth and no matter how correct an embouchure, there will still be a lot of pressure on those teeth.

8. dBeav

dBeav Pianissimo User

May 1, 2013
    Detroit Area
    I would have had to wear braces if not for a rather spectacular motorcycle accident that knocked one of my teeth out. This gave room for the rest to spread out eventually leaving no gap at all. This is not a full endorsement for tooth removal, but it worked for me. :D

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I know some hockey players who don't have enough teeth to fill the gaps -- ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. ButchA

ButchA Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    I had braces in school and had to switch from trumpet to euphonium in concert band, and in marching band I played trombone. Once I got the braces off, I went right back to trumpet.