Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BADGEMAN, May 28, 2009.

1. daniel starz

daniel starz Piano User

Jan 11, 2009
    wasilla alaska

check your local craigslist , so many people are pulling them out of their
    closet's now .

i wish i could buy a few i found

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Having provided all the data for purchasing over eBay, I must now say that I bought a "vintage" Getzen Eterna 900 (1973 model) in absolutley smick condition for a AUD$950 (on eBay) and I have had a couple of really happy years with it.

Because I can afford it (and for no other real reason except that I can), I have ordered a new Harrelson Bravura - but, vintage horns in good condition (using the guide previously provided) are well worth a close look - and they have so much street cred.

3. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Ted,

That was some awsome research. I gave it to a grad assistance doing summer work and we will probably post it in the department (you did not copy right this did you??)

4. TwoStands

TwoStands New Friend

May 27, 2009
    The Plains
    hi Badgeman. I recommend a Bach brand student level horn. there was a thread in here some where about the TR-300. That's the horn I was raised on (I started 6 years). I really enjoy the Bach brand. The TR is a tank, very hard to damage. My junior high band years were hard on my trumpet, as it seemed half the band, and most of the equipment was out to dent the poor thing. I still use it in marching band, even though it can hold it's own in many other styles and venues. I got it used, but i went to a high regarded repair shop in my town. I'd check in repaired music instrument stores for trumpets like these. And most importantly, like everyone else said, bring your kid along so he can try out the horn. If he doesn't like the way it feels, then move on to the next one.
    Call me crazy, but when a player finds the right horn for them, something just clicks. Psychic bond between man and brass. That's why I love my Bach strad so much.

5. RUFocused

RUFocused Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    OLDs Ambassador!!! Great horns (Although most are ugly) but they sound Awesome!!

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Rushtucky - this was all simply gathered from a number of sources and compiled by me. Sources include the "Bandroom" citation (albiet a bit brief - my apologies to the blokes from Bandroom) in the italicised section - the bits from the various trumpet manufacturers were from their own websites - and Ted's comments are based on the experiences of a comeback player with two boys who have learnt the joys of brass - even though they play tuba and trombone, not trumpet.

The clue with research is to gather appropriate data, from reliable sources, (as recent as possible - the publishing data in the front of a book is useful in this respect). Use information that you can confirm from other reliable sources, (for this you can use earlier publications if you wish) and then colour your results with your own experience.

I hope it is of some help - use caution though, the comments are based on the Aussie experience, and the costs are those that I experienced here in Australia five years ago - they may not necessarilly relate to the current US or European situations - my comments on the price of Yamaha instruments are an example. Be wary, use your brains, let it be a guide not a Bible - analyse the information and make up your own mind whether it is from a reliable source. Sorry for being a bit verbose - but I don't think I missed anything. Here endeth the lesson. ;-)

7. Bill Martin

Bill Martin Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2009
    Id (summer) CA (winter)
    Hi, Ted: Considering your advice against buying Chinese - have you spent much time with the Eastman horns? When I played one of these in California this winter, I was "blown away". I brought one home! WOW!
    Bill Martin

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    G'day Bill, I have had no experience of Eastman horns at all, so I'm not much use to you, sorry.

I buy what I can afford with a plan to play, maintain, and keep them for a long time. I require my horns to 'talk' to me - particularly in terms difficult to describe - feel, weight, quality, taste, comfort, robustness, colour, construction excellence, longevity, reputation (street cred) and just the capcity to say to me - satisfaction in all, including a notion of money well spent. Try picking up a cheap plastic knife and another one from a nice silver service - there's my concept.

I'm pleased that you have found one that talks to you - let's trust that the "conversation" is still good in twenty years.

9. Bill Martin

Bill Martin Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2009
    Id (summer) CA (winter)
    Hi, Ted: The criteria you've outlined for trumpet selection is almost exactly congruent with my own. I drove into Anaheim Band Instruments this past winter - just looking, thinking that after 50+ years with my Recording I might deserve a new horn. There, David Browne let me try many different trumpets- and I really liked some of them. He suggested that I try an Eastman. Never having even heard of them, I was somewhat hesitant. A few notes later and I was hooked! I came away with an ETR522 - this thing sings! Bill

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    That's it Bill - you've had a near Disney experience ROFL.
    Congratulations, you look like you've had a horn call to you. Nice when that happens - and positive outcomes all round :thumbsup:.

Last edited: May 30, 2009