Trumpeters in 2005 - Higher, Faster, better tone, better in

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bandman, Jan 27, 2005.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I have never really enjoyed listening to Diz. I can appreciate it, but I would much prefer to hear Maynard play one of his blistering solos in one of his cheesy covers like his cover of James Taylor's "Country Road" than to listen to a Diz bop solo.

I guess I'm just simple minded.

2. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    That's funny, because I think of Maynard as old school. I would rather listen to Wayne Bergeron's CD than any other CD I own! To me he has taken jazz trumpet playing to a new level, of course that's just my opinion.

If I could play like any trumpet player who ever lived, I would want to play like Wayne! Doc, who I consider old school, would be second, and Snooky would probably be third.

3. WUG

WUG New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Orlando,FL
    Bandman,
    What's the process that you're using to record your records to CD. Are you going directly into your sound card or do you have a filter/enhancer?

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Thats what I practice for: My own sound. I do admit that I want Bill Chase's or Maynard's range, and I want the techicality of someone... Really technical (Lol, can't think of a REALLY amazing technical player to mention at the moment). However, I don't want a manilla, carbon-copy sound.

I kind of envision my sound as real sweet and warm, but with the horn vibrating, almost giving my sound a vibrato timbre (But not enough to distract or give people bad tastes in their mouths).

Van

5. jpkaminga

jpkaminga Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2004
    Boston
    I respect a player with unbelievable chops but what I get most excited about is a player with an unbelievable concept of music, like when you hear something and say to yourself "I never thought music could sound like that, how could someone think to put notes together like that, and what do you have to be feeling to play like that" I would have to agree with Wilmer that no one comes close to Dizzy Gillespie, out of all the trumpet players I listen to nobody but Dizzy has unbelievable chops and musical vision combined

6. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    To be honest, I have a friend who is much more technically skilled than I am doing this with me. He has a turntable and a cassette recorder hooked into his computer. I never asked how, but I will do that for you. I'll see him again probably on Monday of next week. The cassette recorder is so that he can record the LPs that are scratched using Dolby and take some of the his out. The problem is that then you have a 4th generation recording by the time it gets to CD. You lose audio, but at least I'll be able to hear some of my old favorites like Chase!

7. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Bandman,
    Chase is one of the guys I've grown fond of listening too. As such, I have his four CD's (reprints of his LP's, including some nonreleased stuff, check out his website). If ya ever need a copy, send me a PM. I'd be glad to return a favor. My old highschool banddirector turned me onto him.

Tim