Trumpeters on Practice: Ethan Bensdorf, Avishai Cohen, Ingrid Jensen, Colin Oldberg..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tptstudent, Mar 30, 2014.

1. tptstudent

tptstudent New Friend

Oct 23, 2005
    Chicago
    Hey Everybody-
    Thought this is a good resource that folks might find useful, or at least interesting. I've been doing in-depth interviews w/ trumpeters (and others music professionals) about music practice in preparation for my next book (on Practice). Below are links to a blog where you can hear the interviews with these great trumpeters, as well as vids, and lots of other relevant links.

cheers,
    Jon

Ethan Bensdrof (Ghitalla winner, NY Phil, NY Phil Principal Brass): New York Philharmonic Trumpeter Ethan Bensdorf, on Practice | Sound the Trumpet: How to Blow Your Own Horn

Avishai Cohen (jazz, SF jazz collective, 3 Cohens, Dave Douglas, etc.): Jazz Trumpeter Avishai Cohen, on Practice | Sound the Trumpet: How to Blow Your Own Horn

Ingrid Jensen (Maria Schneider Orch, Secret Society, etc.): Interview: Ingrid Jensen on Practice | Sound the Trumpet: How to Blow Your Own Horn

Chad McCullough (Kora Band, Chad McCullough & Bram Weijters, etc.): Trumpeter Chad McCullough on Practice | Sound the Trumpet: How to Blow Your Own Horn

Colin Oldberg (Hong Kong Symphony, Axiom Brass, New Chicago Brass, etc.): Interview: Colin Oldberg, Principal Trumpet, HKSO | Sound the Trumpet: How to Blow Your Own Horn

2. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Re: Trumpeters on Practice: Ethan Bensdorf, Avishai Cohen, Ingrid Jensen, Colin Oldbe

Excellent, excellent. Thanks for your work!

Loved the Avishai Cohen interview; I agree that he is probably the most interesting jazz trumpet player currently around.

3. tptstudent

tptstudent New Friend

Oct 23, 2005
    Chicago
    Re: Trumpeters on Practice: Ethan Bensdorf, Avishai Cohen, Ingrid Jensen, Colin Oldbe

You're welcome! Is it work if it's fun? Yeah, I love what Avishai has to say with his music. When we spoke he was with a singer-songwriter and used a lot of electronics. Made me think of that when I saw this SF Jazz Collective version featuring him on the Stevie Wonder tune "Do I Do." Just a tiny bit of "wah." I thought it sounded cool.

SFJAZZ Collective performs Stevie Wonder's "Do I Do" - YouTube