Trumpeters practicing on trombone...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, Jun 12, 2009.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

or bass trumpet...

There is a nice little article in this quarter's ITG Journal called "Sliding My Way to Success" by Rob Walker. It is discussing the idea that practicing on bass trumpet or valve trombone or slide trombone (I'd add euphonium) can actually help you with your chops.

I made honorable mention in the article. When Rob contacted me with some questions I had no idea I'd be mentioned in the article. ;-)

Seriously, it's a terrific piece. Check it out.

Page 66 of the June 2009 ITG Journal.

Nick

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    It's nice to FINALLY see that people are paying attention to that. Not only does it help in your trumpet playing (No, it will NOT "ruin" your chops) but it also makes you more marketable as you can double on any brass instrument. I had a bass trumpet for a while but had to sell it. Also had a bone that I sold. I would always do a nice warmup on those instruments before moving to my principal, which is trumpet. It helped in all manner of ways: open/relaxed breathing, articulation, sound, endurance, even range... Nice find Dr. Nick.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I play tenor horn and tuba with a bavarian group and have never had a problem switching back and forth. I would not take a Bavarian gig the night before a Brandenburg concerto however.

4. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    For me, my chops always found it easier to go from smaller mouthpiece to larger (i.e., trumpet to trombone to tuba). But some nights, you don't get a choice.

My Junior Year in High School, I performed at a joint concert with our school's orchestra and A Capella choirs. Every December, both groups would put on a concert/dinner in the school cafeteria, with different courses of the meal accompanied by different musical selections. I started the evening playing trombone in a brass choir welcoming guests to the event. Then I switched to euphonium for a small brass group which announced the main course. Later, the orchestra performed two pieces, where I played trumpet on the first piece and then french horn on the second. Finally, I ended the evening playing tuba with a small ensemble.

I guess when you have to, your chops find a way. :lol:

5. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Yep, I've been wanting to explore this concept for a little while now. Several of the trumpet players I listen to from New Orleans do this as well, and believe me, they are freakin bad A$$!! So I think there's definitely something to it. Looks like I"m going to be in the market for a trombone soon, hehehehe.

6. Bill Martin

Bill Martin Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2009
    Id (summer) CA (winter)
    I played in dance bands for 25 years. Switched often from my Recording Olds trumpet to my Olds valve trombone - on the same song. The trombone frequently gave me a rest when I needed it.
    Still have and still play both these instruments.

7. BennyBGoode

BennyBGoode New Friend

Jun 11, 2009
    I was planning to start to study trombone, I was hesitating and this article gave the courage. Thanks Nick

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I play sousaphone/tuba on the side, and gig sometimes on sousaphone. It hasn't hindered me in any way. I can now make the switch between both horns without any loss of tone or ability.

9. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    i played a trombone for like half an hour... and when i went back to trumpet, i had no problem, it just felt so weird/ awesomish...

10. chetlives

chetlives Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Van Nuys, CA
    It worked for Maynard who was a master showman and master brass player.