Trumpeting for a cause

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dan Gosling, May 21, 2009.

1. Dan Gosling

Dan Gosling New Friend

Dec 7, 2004
    Indianapolis
  2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    The optimist in me likes the idea, but the realist in me is put off by this kind of thing. An unknown trumpet player selling 1,000,000 copies of his debut album of classical standards in 261 days? All but impossible. Cheap publicity stunt. If he was offering to donate half of the sales of every album sold for 261 days I'd say it's a genuine effort, but he's not offering to donate a penny until he gets to 1 million albums sold.

Here's his disclaimer:
    "Now, to be fair, and continue with my own call to “be realistic”, I’m not going to pretend this isn’t a publicity stunt, because it is. I’m not going to pretend that I’m not doing this to sell my album. I’ll wholeheartedly admit that my main motivation for this is to sell 1 million copies of my first album. At least I’m being upfront about it, right? The very pleasant side effect of my experiment is a $2,000,000 donation to the Canadian Cancer Society."

I'd recommend donating directly to your charity of choice...

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Not with my money. Charitable would be if he donated $2 for each CD sold - regardless of the quantity.
    To demand to be made a millionaire first and donate second? No chance. I don't even know how much the recording engineer had to massage the effort to get this product out.

Here is his website: http://www.sureshsingaratnam.com/

Manhattan School of Music, Lew Soloff and Vince Penzarella as teachers. Bach trumpet and photos using Bach and Monette mouthpieces.

This is a real marketing effort to buypass :)lol:) the normal "pay your dues" part of the musicians life. I wish the Canadian Cancer Society lots of luck!

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Hah! I went to high school with him. He was a great player back then. I remember hearing him play the 3rd movement of the Hummel with our school symphony and being blown away at the fast ornaments at the end.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Dan,
    In his disclaimer he says "its a plublicity stunt". I don't think giving donations to a worthy cause should be classed as a "stunt". Giving a donation to a worthy cause should be something a person wants to do. Riding on the coat tails of a non profit organization for personal gain just seems morally wrong. I wonder if he has the Canadian Cancer Society's permission to affiliate himself with them?

6. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Why not donate a higher percentage? I often donate 50% of my CD sales to non-profits. I don't advertise that.

Personally the ad turns me off a bit.

7. jtbtrumpet91

jtbtrumpet91 Pianissimo User

Jan 30, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Agreed, Trent. Also, I always feel invaded when someone is asking me to buy their product just because it's for a "good cause." Notice the guy didn't have one review of the CD on the video.

8. Dan Gosling

Dan Gosling New Friend

Dec 7, 2004
    Indianapolis
    Well, I don't think he's saying "no donations until I get to be a millionaire first". But if that's how it came off, then he needs to understand he wasn't very clear about that. As far as not paying his dues? Playing at a high level takes a lot of work. Recording a CD takes hard work. Marketing your self takes hard work. Being able to take criticism takes a tough skin. Is his method slightly flawed? Perhaps. But if the Canadian Cancer Society gets one dollar more than they normally would have, I say "good for him" and move on. A million is a big number. Some laugh at it and others are inspired by it. I wish him a successful career and a big donation to his cause. And if one of his causes is promoting himself so he can create music and maybe do some good in the world, I have a hard time finding fault with that. But I will always be more of an optimist than a realist, no matter what!

Dan

Firestas'1 likes this.
  9. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey Dan....did you purchase a CD?