Trumpeting for a cause

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dan Gosling, May 21, 2009.

1. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I do plan to purchase a copy soon.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ummm, there is nothing new about the work that is required to get anywhere in life. This marketing stunt may get his name on the page but getting a real job playing for a living will be the true test.

I think (mis)using a benevolence event ist not the right thing to do. Buypassing is best left to polititians and 2nd/3rd rate movie stars. We accept the fact that they will do anything to get ahead.

The conditions of his benevolence are black and white 261 days, 2 million copies - THEN he will donate. If he changes his tune (donation regardless), I would look at him in another light.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I applaud your optimism Dan, but that's exactly what he's implying and saying. He's the one who posted the disclaimer that this is a publicity stunt.

I'm not taking the bait...

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I think he would come off as a much more caring person if he gave a percentage of every CD that he sells. He might even say if he sells so many that they will get so much, but to say sell a million before they get a dime seems a little wrong.

5. Labidochromis

Labidochromis Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    Armstrong BC.
    I am buying a copy.
    People who accomplish big things make big goals; it also takes big nads to do this. I respect a person with some guts and the willingness to stick it out there and go for it. It requires little or nothing to sit back and be a critic.

There are a lot of little people who did amazing things because they had the dream and the vision to do it. We don’t know why he is offering to donate to the Cancer society, his reasons could be very personal as they often are or possibly not, we don’t know.

If that is his dream and his passion and that is what drives him to get out there and go for it every day then who are we to judge. If 5 people in a thousand have that drive I would be surprised.

You don’t have to support him just don’t judge him; that will occur when his goal is achieved or not. I would be embarrassed saying how much I gave to a charity last year, two million dollars is a big gift.

Cheers!

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Dan,
    I agree with you that marketing ones self is hard work. However, making a buck by affiliating ones self with a worthy cause isn't worthy at all and, without permission of the not for profit organization, he could fall victim to the ravages of the court.
    I doubt that the association with this guy and the Canadian Cancer Society is legit.
    This begs the question? if he isn't affiliated, then we must trust his word that he will do with the money what he says. Gosh I wonder who will make sure that the money earned actually goes to the Canadian Cancer Society, Dudley Dooright? This one smells like three day old fish.

7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I'll agree that this does not seem to be the most fully honest thing (he admits its a gimmick),
    but if we are looking at this and discussing it in person, I think we would approve of it at least a little more - ever noticed that cynicism is a lot more prevalent when we are anonymous on the internet?
    Looking at the video it seems to me more of an idea that seemed fun, rather than the evil marketing gimmick that some seem to be casting it as. Notice the mathy 3^n exercise that it wouldn't take that long to fulfill it (20 days).

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    "You don’t have to support him just don’t judge him; that will occur when his goal is achieved or not. I would be embarrassed saying how much I gave to a charity last year, two million dollars is a big gift."

I'm not judging him (or supporting him), but I am trying to point out that he's not the generous sould that some may make him out to be. The two million dollars would be a PHENOMINAL gift, but that will only be realized IF he sells a million copies in 261 days. Not likely.

For the record, I will absolutely change my tune is it turns out that he's also offering 1/2 of the sales of his album to the charity REGARDLESS of how many total sales there are. In that case I would consider even a $10 donation to be BETTER than the theoretical $2 million.

My screen name is my real-life first initial and last name. My integrity extends to my on-line persona so I would have no problems making any of my statements to your face or the artist in question.

9. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

There are several forum members here where that is true, and if anyone asked me what mine was, I'd be happy to PM them (way to much info can be had on people on the internet, I'd rather all of my details were not there ... unlike Scalia), I am more commenting on the general negative feel of this thread towards this guy.
    Don't take my words as an attack, I've just been viewing this thread and the way people respond has been interesting

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I recommend that if this seems slimy and wrong on many levels, to email the Canadian Cancer Society and ask them if this guy's on the "up and up" or is this just a scam to make money by using the good name of this organization which has helped thousands of people(and families) with a very serious disease.

Last edited: May 23, 2009