Trumpeting for a cause

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dan Gosling, May 21, 2009.

1. Dan Gosling

Dan Gosling New Friend

Dec 7, 2004
    Indianapolis
    Chuck and all,

FWIW, I did purchase a CD.

Dan

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    It isn't a scam. He is trying to get his name out there.

If you don't agree with his marketing tactics, at least give him a listen on his website. He is a great player. And I have never heard anything bad about him as a person from those who knew him well when he was at my high school.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I haven't read anything here that directly questioned his playing. I think it is legitimate to question a slick web site and the (mis)use of a charity organization for ones own commercial purposes.
    For those that REALLY care about cancer, there are plenty of ways to feed that need. I lost my mom to cancer and that makes me very sensitive to the commercial populism that is a big fad these days. I'll wait until he has donated. Then we will see if integrity is part of the game plan.

Any of you that want to make a difference, donate blood or register with a stem cell/bone marrow bank. I donated 2 years ago and some 18-19 year old Canadian girl was the direct benefactor and according to the doctors she has essentially "conquered" her leukemia. My wish is that YOU ALL get directly involved instead of riding shotgun - maybe..................

4. Brekelefuw

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Hey guys,
    Suresh posted about this site in the blog explaining himself a bit more. Please take the time to read it and understand where he was coming from.
    Rowuk, he has specifically mentioned your posts in this thread.

Suresh Singaratnam - TrumpetMaster.com

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hey Rowuk
    You helped save a kid from leukemia by donating?!? I can't think of anything, any note, or any song that can top what you did. That kind of humanity is the kind that makes even tough guys tear up. Bravo!!

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    OK, the 1,000+ word reply was nice, and while the skeptic in me says it reeks of damage control, we can say it was a nice gesture.

I'll leave this thread alone now. This guys words are what keep convincing me that this was a stunt from the beginning (which he admits to). He's backpeddaling now but at least he's lowered the bar to 10,000 sales before he'll make a donation. Anything less than that and I guess the cancer foundation is out of luck...

"Some people are troubled by the omission of any information about how the money will be spent if I don’t reach my goal of 1,000,000. I agree this is a detail that will make some suspicious. I didn’t want to discuss the possibility of failure in the initial announcement because I wanted people to know I believe this will work. If October 23rd arrives and the final tally is something as low as 100,000, or even 10,000, I’ll still be able to afford to give half the money away, so I promise I will, but like I said, why should we settle for something so low when it really could just take 2 people and 20 days to reach our true goal of 1,000,000?
    Just to clarify things, I’m not affiliated with the Canadian Cancer Society in any way whatsoever...

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I’ve had a change of heart since I posted that initial announcement. While I’ll never deny that this STARTED as something that was ultimately about selling my first album, something changed after the first person bought the album after reading about the $2,000,000 donation. I panicked a little..."

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    My Dad suffered from a form of cancer and as a result my youngest brother and I give blood very regularly - I have O+ blood and my younger brother has a rarer group (I forget which), he can no longer donate because of a heart condition that has him on a lifetime of drugs. Here in Oz, the Blood Bank doesn't buy blood at all - it is a social responsibilty that we all share. I hate donating only because I have 'difficult veins' apparently, and always come away with big bruises - but it is a bloody site better than what my Dad went through - good onya Robin :thumbsup:.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi gbdeamer,
    I just thought of an idea that might save this young man's keester from further embarassment. Possibly if he would GIVE the CD's to the Canadian Cancer Society for the period of time he mentioned and then continue to sell the CD's just like he's doing.
    People would send the money directly to the CCS and in exchange, the customer would recieve a CD.
    This way the CCS is guaranteed their money in exchange for using their name and the young man can only be accused of being a little clumsy at trying to do the right thing.
    At the end of the predetermined time, the young man would be issued a check from the CCS for his share of the sold CD's and be mailed the remaining CDs(if any) that didn't sell.

9. Brekelefuw

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Markie, if you read his blog, you must have read that he DID contact the CCS about his idea. They know what he is doing.
    Making them a retailer for his cd is just causing them unnecessary work.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We'll see where this goes. Everybody should follow their OWN concience. Mine says wait and see.