Trumpeting Mediocrity

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by dizforprez, Apr 9, 2004.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
  2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The problem that I see with that review, is that just because Wynton's new album doesn't have a lot of flash, doesn't mean that it's not wonderful music.

These days, it seems like everything has to be over the top before it's accepted as being "good".

Take American Idol for instance. Every song has to be this exercise in how loud, high and powerful you can sing or else you just aren't going to cut it, the judges are going to rip you a new one, and America is going to see to it that you don't advance to the next round.

Unfortunately, "music", or real music anyway, isn't always over the top and it really doesn't have to be. There are plenty of artists and performers that have done quite well over the years that if they were put head to head with today's contestants on American Idol, probably couldn't go the distance.

I have not heard Wynton's new album, but I would bet that there are some pretty tasty portions all through it. It might not be flashy, but I have no doubt that it's good anyway.

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    That review was "over the top." Not only did he bash a good player for his entire career because of his latest album, but that is all he did. He did n't say anything much about the album and had to use foul language to make his point.

A review in one tiny corner of the internet. All it did was drive me to want to go listen to it. That may have been the worst "review" I have ever read -- since it was a bashing rather than a review.

M&C

4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    that was barely even a review, it was more of a onesided background history. I dont want to say that I could write a better review, because thats arrogant, so I'll say I know 3rd graders who could write a better review.

5. slimshady

slimshady Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2003
    Wynton can play the trumpet. No one will ever doubt.

I think the review made a few good points however. Still, too harsh and judgemental.

A lot of people enjoy Wyntons music and that is all that really matters.

6. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    I would say that this is fortunate. It is unfortunate, however that some people, critics, judges etc. do not realise that music doesn't need to be over the top or wildly original to be great music.

Fred Kaplan seems to have got his head stuck up his own arse.

7. Dr G

Dr G Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
  8. timcates

timcates Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2004
    Texas - USA
    there's a difference between writing and typing - what does one expect from a pig besides a grunt?

9. knf jazz cat

knf jazz cat New Friend

Dec 16, 2003
    Okay, so this past weekend, I had an opportunity to hear all of "the Magic Hour" I didn't particularly like it, some of the tunes were okay, but nothing revolutionary. The last tune in particular is reminiscent of a small bird being tortured . Wynton's stuff seems tobe getting worse and worse. I think it has to do with his seeming obsession with the whole Buddy Bolden/Dixie style. His standard time albums were by far his best, they showcased Wynton's real jazz talent. I'd say, if you're thinking about spending the money on a Marsalis album, go out and buy one of his older Standard Time albums, or even some of his really old stuff when he and Branford were still with the Jazz Messengers, those albums are really worth you're $19.