TrumpetMaster.com Update / Upgrade

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Anonymous, Jan 30, 2004.

Should we close the chat room

1. Keep it open!

100.0%
  2. I'll never use it!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. If there were organized chats I might show up

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Please put your comments here.

Would you ever use the chat room or should we just take it down?

The links will be open for business soon.

What else would you like to see here.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I "might" use it but honestly I prefer to use one of the other services. I've noticed that some folks prefer MSN, others have a 'yen' for Yahoo, and some others like AIM (deviant MAC users especially). I like MSN for it's webcam/mic capability but I believe that AIM can host more people in a room at one time...the drawback is that once a chat has been established, newcomers have to be invited. And THAT means that they have to know who is actually IN the room so that they can ask for an invite. (But if we all have each other on our "buddies" list, it shows who is online and who isn't and it "rings bells, slams doors" etc. when people log on or off of AIM.) I think there is also mic capability with AIM but no camera. Of course you could always be in two different chats at the same time on two different programs so that's not necessarily a drawback.

The things I've noticed about the chat programs is this: it is far more "personal" than posts "back and forth" and there tends to be less "interpersonal fighting". There is also a "freer attitude and willingness to "speak up" when microphones are NOT used. Maybe someone who has studied social psychology can explain that one!

anyway...you asked! :D

3. TheMoose

TheMoose Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2003
    Keep it open dude! I wish more would use it, it's a great way to meet other members.

4. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
    Chat

I like the idea of chat rooms, but it would be nice to have scheduled chats with purpose. It would be cool if TM could get people like Larry (Calicchio moderator) or others with such experience and knowledge as professional players to host them. I remember having Bobby Shew clear up alot of doubt at a clinic by simply saying, "forget about yourself, plant your feet and play". Be nice to have a theme to each chat and such........but it would be cool to keep it open.
    Peace

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    So far we've concentrated on what to do with the Chat feature. However TM also asked about what we LIKE about the site.

1) The adult nature of the folks posting here. It's a refreshing change from what I found on TPO and a couple of other forums I used to use (and have now even deleted from my "favorites" list).

2) I like the individual forums for horn brands. It helps keep each make in it's own "box" and there is less of the "oh yeah? well my B** is so much better than your L** that I could leave you sucking wind".

3) I particularly enjoy the "inside scoop" that some of our local pros bring to the forums. While I acknowledge and respect that there are times and topics that they feel they cannot talk about (professional courtesy), there are doubtless other things that can be discussed and explained that will help guide "up and comers" and "serious amateurs" (or at least provide some great "trivia" for the cocktail party!)

4) I like the chat. Whether it's the chat here or elsewhere, it's nice to be able to get some "real time" discussion going. Whether we are pros, amateurs, dealers, makers...we have one thing in common....LIFE. We have families, car problems, dreams, travel, experiences, education, wives/husbands/girl/boyfriends, relationship problems and relationship joys. We get the flue, catch colds, go shopping. We get fired, hired, retired. Our parents pass away, we have accidents, we get the blues. We live in different countries...but when you cut through the "stuff" you find that underneath we're all the same. That's unifying and good. It's hard to fight with someone when you're friends with them.

5) I like the way things are moderated (maybe "lightly" moderated is a better description). Perhaps a day will come when we wish that there was more than just TM doing the "administration" but so far things have been cool. It would be nice to think that we can continue to run without "cops"...but we know that sooner or later someone will come in from outside to see what they can stir up. At that time there will be a need for a gang tackle and ejection from the game. Maybe we can all agree to refuse to argue with interlopers... if you shun them they will eventually leave on their own.

"Idealistic"? Yeah...probably. But one has to keep hoping (with a good eye on your "six").

6. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    I will echo the voices that have mentioned organized chat times. It would be much easier for me to chat if I knew when other people would be in the room.

On a side note, now that my dam project is almost over (that phrase has TWO interpretations :shock: ), I will have a bit more free time to get to know of of the people here better.

I vote to keep the chat room open.

As for improvements to the site, I really have no suggestions. TM and company have done a great job with this site.