TrumpetMaster vs. eBay?

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by cchao, Aug 3, 2005.

1. cchao

cchao New Friend

Jul 12, 2005
    Terre Haute, IN
    Hello, Trumpet Masters,

We are trying to figure out what makes people want to buy/sell stuff on an online community website like TrumpetMaster vs. go with the big boys (like eBay).

We realize some people use both (like post an eBay ad on TrumpetMaster), but we think there are some underlying issues such as camaraderie, trust, sense of community, etc. that affect one’s preference.

We would like to ask you to answer a short survey. We posted this survey here a couple of weeks ago and got ONE lonely response. :cry:
    Would you please help us out?

To take the survey, please click on either links:
    http://www.ayman.net/tm or
    http://aa.indstate.edu/tm

Thanks a bunch!

Annie Chao

2. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    ...and you can't be terminated without warning on unsubstantial evidence over here. ;-)

3. cchao

cchao New Friend

Jul 12, 2005
    Terre Haute, IN
    I appreciate your replies and the nice discussion.

A survey respondent made a very interesting comments:
    "I think sometimes the reason we feel more comfortable selling on the TM is because there are some emotional attachments to our instruments, knowing that the instrument is going into another caring instrumentalists hands makes the transaction a bit easier."

I guess this comment explains why some people choose to do business in a community. The question is: is it limited to items with sentimental value (like a musical instrument) and/or in a certain type of community where members feel a certain type of fellowship and camaraderie toward fellow musicians/artists/whatever? Or is it universal (doesn't matter what you sell/buy or in what type of community)?

Annie

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I would rather contract with another "person" with whom I've had some interaction in the past than with an "unknown" on, say "Ebay". At least within the forums, if you get done a "bum deal" there is some recourse in the form of ostracization against the miscreant.

Ebay has a rather poor record of "recourse", "protecting the innocent", and ensuring FAIR deals based on ACCURATE descriptions. The only time they "might" get excited and take action is when something is threatening their entire existence (profits) such as is the case with these pfishers.

5. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    I will say that any "vehicle" in the market is worth considering. Keeping the offering here on TrumpetMaster is restricting the exposure to a "narrow" market.

Decidedly, in "a perfect world", we could keep the instruments here, "at home". Interestingly, there is the option of "trading" or "swapping" here. I hope other alternatives arise as competitors for "eBay".

Capitalism is alive and well !

Robert Rowe

6. cchao

cchao New Friend

Jul 12, 2005
    Terre Haute, IN
    There seems to be some discontent towards big online auction sites like eBay ... several of you mentioned that eBay is, after all, a profit-seeking organization, so unless some unfair transactions are going to hurt its reputation and bottom line big time, it doesn't care.

On the other hand, online community sites like TM might exercise some sort of social power (see Tootsall's comment) to deter one member from trying to cheat another. What do you guys think about this "alternative" regulating mechanism? Have you ever observed it? How common and effective is it?

Also, what about price? Besides being able to sell or buy something, it is more likely to get a better deal (higher bid) on large auction sites than online community? Or is making a few extra bucks when selling or getting something cheaper not a top priority (when compared to making sure the person you are dealing with is legit)?

Any thoughts and comments?

Annie