Trumpets and Keys for Wedding Music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Slashmeister, Mar 11, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Slashmeister

Slashmeister New Friend

Mar 10, 2011
    Hi,

I have some possible wedding gigs coming up and I was curious to know what instruments and keys different people use on some of the standard wedding repertoire.

I am assuming that some of the most popular wedding pieces include;

Prince of Denmark's March (J Clarke)
    Wedding March (F Mendelssohn)
    Bridal Chorus from Lohengrin (R Wagner)
    Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (J S Bach)
    Prelude to Te Deum (M Charpentier)

So my question is....what do you guys use when you play these pieces (B flat trumpet, C trumpet, D Trumpet, Bb Piccolo, A piccolo, other?) and....what concert pitch keys do you normally play these pieces in?

Thanks

Slashmeister

2. trptStudent

trptStudent New Friend

Jan 5, 2006
    I've not played the other pieces, but Jesu by Bach I've played in concert G major.

3. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    For the weddings I've done, I didn't get to pick the key. I had to play in whatever key the pianist and piano player had the sheet music for. I know....I know.....Bad joke. But, if it's just you, play it in your best key.....I would be willing to bet no one would know if it was the "official" key or not.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  4. brian.hess

brian.hess New Friend

Mar 13, 2011
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Bernard Fitzgerald did a cool transcription of "Aria con Variatzioni" which makes a lovely wedding march, especially if the piano part is substituted with harpsichord. I did this one for a friend's wedding and it was nice. It's a Handel piece I believe.

Brian

5. Slashmeister

Slashmeister New Friend

Mar 10, 2011
    I was talking to a guy the other day about wedding music and he told me that he plays Trumpet Voluntary (Prince of Denmark's March) on an A Piccolo in D concert which means he plays it in F which is a great key to play it in.

So...the purpose of starting this thread was to try and get some discussion happening about what keys and trumpets others use for playing such music.

I hope we get some more responses.

6. solotrumpet

solotrumpet New Friend

Jul 27, 2010
    Clarke: Prince of Denmark's March - D major, play in F on A picc.
    Mendelssohn: Wedding March - Bb on C trumpet
    Wagner: Bridal Chorus - Bb on C trumpet
    Bach: Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring - G major on C trumpet
    Charpentier: Prelude to Te Deum - D major, play in F on A picc.

I typically use a G trumpet in place of picc. (D maj goes to G maj. - a step higher than the piccolo A and a 5th below concert) and a C trumpet as I find these instruments blend well with organ.

Whilst I would agree that most people won't know if you're playing in the original key or not I would encourage you to do so - there is a brightness and liveliness to the Hornpipe (or any other baroque tune) that just isn't there in other keys, even just down a step in C. Play it in both keys side by side and it does not take a musician to notice the difference. Furthermore, there is a nice clarity of sound and majesty up in the original keys as well - having said that, a solid performance in a lower key is better than a disaster up high.

7. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA

True.

8. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Two books that are very useful for wedding and church repetiore are "The Classical Wedding", and "The Joyous Wedding". They contain all the literature you've listed along with more - pretty much everything you'd ever need. Parts are included for Bb and trumpet in D - most of the D parts, if transposed for A picc, make keys and fingerings very friendly. The books include organ parts, and I've used them so many times that they've paid for themselves many times over. This was also the literature that I was taught to play picc on, and it helped to learn with literature I was actually going to use. It's also a blast to play :)

9. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Thanks Flugelgirl. I have used those books so many times I need to buy another set of them! Where ere You Walk and Bist du bei Mir are wonderful on flugelhorn. The Christmas and Easter books in that series are not as useful for me.