Trumpets and potential hearing loss

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MichaelMontcombroux, Sep 28, 2014.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    YES, there is potential, but that does not mean that it will happen.

If we analyse what is going on when playing, we realize that we are on the right side of the instrument. Where problems can start is when we play in small rooms with hard walls. The walls reflect almost all of the energy back to our ears and they are then subject to a more or less direct hit. When playing in decent sized rooms, the volume reduces as a square of the distance. Much less comes back to potentially hurt us.

It is almost impossible to control how beginners play. We can only suggest things sensible. Bedrooms are generally the category "too small to make real music", but there often is no choice or other option for regular practice.

Most of us are pretty lucky as we only talk about playing a lot........

3. MichaelMontcombroux

MichaelMontcombroux New Friend

Aug 19, 2014
    Manitoba, Canada
    I fear for my light bulbs

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I finished practicing a couple hours ago, after l began reading this thread. I focused upon playing at diminished volume and had a very enjoyable session. I also experienced less fatigue. perhaps it is time to pay more attention.

My practice room is what would otherwise be a small to medium size bedroom with painted dry-walled walls. I do things like leaving closet doors open to attenuate sound, but just a little attention paid to playing more softly really seems to help. Quite frankly, the overall quality of my practice improved too!

Jim

5. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
  6. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I was curious enough about hearing loss to have purchased a decibel meter a few months ago. I took measurements with the meter in front of and near the horns at different distances and angles, and I also placed it next to one ear, played normally in a few different places, and discovered (no surprise) that the sound level was consistently high enough to be concerned about. The surprise was that the decibel level didn't change much with the venue, and that the decibel level was fairly consistent in its reduction at increasing distances from the bell, regardless of the direction. Yes, it was louder directly in front of the bell, but that was the only exception that I found. Mutes didn't make as much difference as I expected, either, even my practice mute.

I had been concerned about hearing damage for a while, and I had bought musicians' earplugs to counteract my perceived potential hearing loss. The earplugs alter the sound along with the volume, and are a less than satisfactory solution, as far as I am concerned. Consequently I mix it up, sometimes using them and sometimes not. I do realize that decibel level increases are exponential and that any reduction helps.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    trust me --- when you have hearing loss that will alter the sound of all music anyhow ----- my suggestion is to always error on the side of caution. Another fine tip is that "everything" has the potential to cause hearing loss as it's often the "accumulation of noise" over many years that results in hearing loss. Simple things such as: having the car window down, a vacuum cleaner, blender/juicer in the kitchen, lawnmower, firearms, chainsaws, noisy stadiums where sports events take place, etc. ----- I would use your decibel meter in many places you travel ---- it might surprise you how much noise is around where you travel.

8. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I did, and you are absolutely right, kingtrumpet; it's a surprisingly noisy world to which we have become accustomed.

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    My problems are from working in a factory most of my work career. Biggest culprit was a broken 150psi air line that I helped a pipe fitter repair. I ran the lift truck to get him up to it. He had protection,I didn't. Also shooting without plugs when I was younger didn't help,either.Have loss in certain mid range frequencies and mild tinnitus:oops::dontknow:

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What? :roll: