Trumpets and potential hearing loss

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MichaelMontcombroux, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Pardon

2. lipnutz

lipnutz Pianissimo User

Dec 17, 2013
    I am always in pain when I play - psychological pain!

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's the cost of being in a community band!!!ROFL

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    That's craziness!

5. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I doubt my playing has contributed to my own hearing loss very much if at all. The timbale player and his cymbal that was right behind my head in the salsa band I used to play in. Yeah. For sure. My hearing is still very good at the moment, despite some ringing I experienced after more than a handful of those gigs. I now keep a set of "hearos" in every case I own. I don't hesitate to use them on loud gigs. I want to keep my hearing for a very long time, even if it means hearing things slightly distorted on the loud gigs I play now.

6. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    In the old days of the "big bands" the string bass players were mostly deaf. Why? They didn't have microphones and amplifiers in those days -- at least not for big bands -- and they always put the string bass players out front so they could be heard. That meant they had 4 trumpets and 4 trombones pointed right at their heads from fairly close range. The basses were actually closest to the saxophones, but the saxes caused only psychological damage.....

7. MichaelMontcombroux

MichaelMontcombroux New Friend

Aug 19, 2014
    Manitoba, Canada
    Newell Post wrote

A case of unprotected sax?

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    :roll::-o:lol::lol::dontknow::oops:

9. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Avoid being next to crash cymbals and in front of Marshall amplifiers.

10. Brass_of_all_Trades

Brass_of_all_Trades New Friend

Sep 8, 2014
    I made a thread on the other trumpet site about an article about the decibel levels experienced by orchestra players. It's focused on the other side of the bell but it's pretty interesting.

Douglas Yeo FAQ: "Noise" Levels on Stage

If you scroll to the end it shows the sound intensity experienced by different musicians and their locations. The bassoon player sitting in front of Charles Schluter experienced peak sound intensity of 128.6 decibels.

To put that into perspective, according to the occupational safety and health administration (OSHA) the safe duration to be exposed to 128 decibels is 0.041 hours or 147.6 seconds which is about 2 and half minutes.