Trumpets and potential hearing loss

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MichaelMontcombroux, Sep 28, 2014.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Wow - ole KT is getting slow in his old age as I should have caught this detail sooner --- this thread about hearing loss was started by our Canadian friend ---- EH? EH? speak up I can't hear you -- Eh Eh. ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What?

3. MichaelMontcombroux

MichaelMontcombroux New Friend

Aug 19, 2014
    Manitoba, Canada
    kingtrumpet; this thread about hearing loss was started by our Canadian friend ---- EH? EH

Yes, I started this thread a few days ago because I have encountered a problem which goes beyond the usual how-do-I-get-a-good-sound-out-of-this-horn type of question. TM members have made several insightful contributions to the thread, as well as plenty of light-hearted ones, a few of which were directed at me. I take it all in good nature because they were meant in jest (I hope).

A little back story to put things into context. Like many on this forum I have had my hearing compromised somewhat by exposure to loud noise in earlier life. In my case during military service. I later developed severe tinnitus, to the degree that I largely gave up playing music. Through a change of lifestyle I succeeded in getting rid of the said tinnitus and took up the flute. But flutes are not trumpets and I have long admired and hankered after a cornet. This summer I gave in and rented a horn, bought a method book, joined TM and set to. I believe (my wife’s opinion might vary) I was making good progress. Most of all I was having fun. And I found lots of support on TM (more than I ever did on a floot forum).

Unfortunately, just to spoil the party, my long-absent tinnitus came back with a vengeance. Only those who have it will know how it can drive one crazy. I have not practiced in three days and have not had any tinnitus during that time. Logic would suggest: ditch the horn. Hearing is more important.

In response to the issue of the room one plays in. I play in a large open room, and sometimes outdoors. So the surroundings are not exacerbating the problem.

I have not made a final decision but the writing on the wall suggests it’s goodbye horn, goodbye TM

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If we stick to practicing we wont be muffing music in our ears.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Tinnitus suggests other problems that is less related to volume and has more to do with inner ear etiology toward the brain side of things. A problem that would be less in Kingtrumpet's case seeing that it involves the brain.

6. MichaelMontcombroux

MichaelMontcombroux New Friend

Aug 19, 2014
    Manitoba, Canada
    I agree. The Mayo Clinic lists exposure to loud noise the number one cause, though there are many more.
    In my case:
    No horn playing = no tinnitus
    Horn playing = tinnitus appears
    Ergo ... ?

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Nautics???

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or in your case... Eargo.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    KT here has tinnitus (and your reasoning is not sound as you will find many other contributors to tinnitus) -- I've got 50% hearing loss (had it before my comeback to trumpet 6 yrs ago) ---- you know Michael you can quit --- but might I suggest workinv with your tuner to dial in the sound you play --- I've thoroughly enjoyed playing my trumpet even with auditory problems

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I will admit I have trouble with picking notes out when I play trombone -- and I have some problems in community band hearing the conductor. But all in all I think my good buddy ole GM can testify that I can get a couple of good notes out of a trumpet --- even if I don't "hear" the same quality as most of you do ------ don't be a quitter is my advice --- if you enjoy the trumpet you will find a way to keep playing