Trumpets are getting shorter.

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by GordonH, Aug 29, 2005.

1. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    AKA "My old trumpet won't fit in a modern case so I have to use a gig bag for it".

[​IMG]

Top: Wild Thing
    Middle: Yamaha YTR6335HS
    Bottom: Beuscher True Tone

2. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    Just buy a Bach, they stay the same length !

[​IMG]

Bach Mt.V 1964
    Bach NY 1941
    Bach 197 2005

(my NY is for sale btw)

3. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    My Yamaha is probably the same size as the Bach.

Its noticeable on modern slot in cases.
    The Beuscher just won't fit in any of the cases I have tried so it lives in a gig bag.

It wasn't until I looked at the three that I realised they are getting shorter as time goes on.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Golly, and I was under the impression that each Bb trumpet, no matter what vintage, had roughly the same amount of tubing, no matter how it was configured. :-P

5. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    The wrap is getting wider and the distance from the end of the tuning slide to the bell is getting less, hence the reduction in overall length.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    And here I thought that trumpets were REALLY getting shorter! :lol:

[​IMG]

7. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    I decided to sell my pocket trumpet.
    Part of my clear out.
    I am being brutal.
    Anything not touched for 12 months is going.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I once did the same thing. At the time I had 3 Bbs, a C and a pic and I pared it all down to just one Bb. I wanted to have 1 good Bb since that's all I was really using, and I wasn't playing my pic or my C - they were too short!!!!! :-P :lol:

9. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

1. The old "peashooter" type trumpets were of very narrow bore (usually around .420-.440. Additionally, the bell flare came very late, so the internal diameter stayed narrower than today. To compensate for a much less diameter flare in the bell . . . the bell must be longer to lower the pitch.

The sound of these tight-flared peashooters was very bright, and sometimes shrill.

2. The F. Besson trumpet changed this about 100 years ago! The bore was larger and the bell flare started earlier and was additionally of bigger diameter throughout the flare. The result was a much richer sounding trumpet . . . one that was warm enough that it actually REPLACED cornets in orchestras.

Most trumpets today are F. Besson clones as far as the wrap dimensions, flare and bore . . . including your Yamaha that's pictured. Naturally, a "peashooter" won't fit in a Besson-clone case!

3. Your (and my) Wild Thing is even larger bore, and the bell section has even more flare than the standard Besson flare . . . thus requiring an even shorter length to the bell overall. The rest of the horn is made on the Besson wrap, of course. The sound is thus even a little richer and fuller . . . but it won't fit in many cases made for the conventional F. Besson clones!

Will bells keep getting a little shorter, and keep moving away from the shrill peashooters? Geez, I don't know . . . but I surely like what I'm hearing from my Wild Thing!

Sincerely,

Tom

10. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    I suspect we will all end up with Flugel horns!