Trumpets are GREAT

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Dr G, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Dr G

Dr G Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    It has occurred to me that a lot of real and perceived trumpet issues can be simplified by considering a horn merely as a device that generates vibrations of two overlapping types — “good vibrationsâ€, i.e., music and “bad vibrationsâ€, i.e., noise. These vibrations arise from two major sources, “standing waves†— That component of vibration designed into a trumpet to establish its performance parameters. This component, along with mouthpiece, player, mute, etc. and note being played, constitutes the characteristic sound performance of the total system and “turbulence†— That component of vibration not designed into or that cannot be designed out of a trumpet and which constitutes a barrier in some way to the preferred output, i.e., the desired performance.

Turbulence arises from many sources, some of which commence in the body of the player, some the mouthpiece, some the trumpet itself, and some, the area in which the trumpet is played and, on occasion, can utterly overwhelm the musical performance, at least temporarily. [If your public performances have been perfect throughout your life time, you have no need to worry about this] All preparation is an attempt to minimize the turbulence and maximize the music.

Components that can generally affect quality performance include mental attitude, physical ability, equipment choice, music choice, performance venue, audience, etc.

My general observation in this and in other forums is that quality performance failures have been blamed more on failure of equipment — as in “choice of†— than all other factors combined.

There is currently so much high quality equipment available in the form of trumpets, mouthpieces, and accessories that there should be no reason whatsoever that any person, with reasonable effort, cannot find components that will maximize their performance ability.

If you think trumpets are expensive, sell your trumpet and try a professional level stringed instrument such as a violin, cello, etc., or perhaps a piano, even a saxophone or flute, maybe a french horn or perhaps a tuba or bass horn. Some of these instruments are worth in excess of a million dollars [forget the accessories and equipment involved] and, in the event you are so inclined, browse e-bay and other sites to catch a glimmer of just why trumpets are so popular — to be honest, folks, a major reason is that they are comparatively inexpensive.

Free advice — stop complaining about cost, spend the time either practicing or looking for and acquiring the equipment that will enhance your performance and thinking how lucky you didn't "have to" but a strad cello [that's a million there] and a bow [think thousands here] and still have enough change to spend three or four grand for a new trumpet.