Trumpets in contemporary/popular Music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by T Bone, Jan 23, 2013.

1. T Bone

T Bone New Friend

Jan 17, 2013
    Bonnie Scotland
    When I can pull myself away from Arbans and pedal tones... I enjoy working out little bits of trumpet/other horns in contemporary or popular music: like the arrangements on both of the Bon Iver albums, or little bits from more commercial/no traditional trumpet music. The drummer from the Manic Street Preachers (a band probably only known to European/UK readers) is also known to whip out a trumpet and plays a brief solo on "Kevin Carter".

Some of The Cure's instrumentation involved some nice trumpet playing- the duelling horns on "Close To Me" sound great, though I haven't worked out the trumpet part, yet!

Is it just me or does anyone else do this: and what sort of stuff do you like to work out?

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The Royal Scots RCA album Amazing Grace has a fantastic Trumpet Carillion on it. The cover art depicts The Charge of the Greys (Wellington's defeat of Napoleon, and the Grey mounts of the Royal Scots).

3. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    T Bone, I'm always listening for trumpet and French horn in modern rock/alternative/pop music. It's really quite common. You can even find some trumpet used in some tracks by the White Stripes, Feist, Paramore, Killers, Metric, and the 1900s. Of course there is the whole blue-eyed soul / big band trend, with Amy Winehouse, Duffy, Rumer, Caro Emerald, and others. And cabaret-inspired groups like Pink Martini. And don't forget the modern Latino-inspired bands like Calexico, which use lots of brass.

I'm sure I've forgotten lots. I'll have a look in iTunes and see what I can find.

I used to know the trumpet parts for Close To Me, when I was in high school. It was one of my favorite songs back then.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The Memphis Brass... Always liked their sound. Also the Tower of Power horn section was also rented out to people like Elton John and Little Feet.

5. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    How this thread could have lasted this long without a mention of Blood Sweat & Tears is beyond me.

(My wife is chiming in with Sufjan Stevens)

6. Cas

Cas New Friend

Oct 26, 2012
    Earth, Wind, and Fire-amazing trumpet parts!!!

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, BS&t. Good call. Wonder whatever happened to them. They and Chicago got going around the same time, if I remember correctly. Really enjoyed both. Chicago is still going and popular. What became of BS&T? I enjoyed them more.

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Still going, according to their website. They are playing in the One World Theatre in Austin, Texas, tomorrow (26th Jan 2013). I never realised they had so many changes to the line-up over the years; the wikipedia entry lists 144 members and former members, including 27 different trumpet players.

--bumblebee

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Chuck Findley with Boz Skaggs

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Dare I say it: Chris Botti with Sting!