trumpets united: covention & buddying up

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mevenden, Apr 27, 2008.

1. mevenden

mevenden New Friend

Apr 20, 2008
    london, uk
    Am so impressed with this forum have a few ideas -

what a bout a convention? With lessons going on in various styles and speakers - trade show - that kind of thing

What about a buddying- up - basically someone who is experienced trumpeter buddies up with someone less experienced to support them in there endevour to learn trumpet say in a particular style -

ok Im just trying to blag my way into getting free lessons I guess.

cheers
    M

2. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    It will be much easier for you if you start a local chapter of the International Trumpet Guild.
    All the procedures are in place to form up mentoring and local performances and just about anything you can think of. Find a social hall that has beer taps in the walls. ooops, forgot that people of all ages can be members so forget the beer taps. Good Luck. It will be a part time job to run it right. It can also be a lot of fun.

3. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    That would be a very interesting thing to do. I bet you have to have some kind of demand for it, though.

4. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    I wish I could find some locals to play with. Seems once you're out of school or not playing pro, it can be hard to find ppl to play with.

5. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I attended a trumpet clinic yesterday at the local music store. A few of the people were asking "who do you play with," or "where do you play." Then a few suggestions, "you should come play with the community college jazz band," or "the _____ band." Neither of these suggestions will work for me because of my other personal scheduling activities, but they do come up.

Heck, at another music store I was just shopping, and talking with the lady that works there, and she said something like, "we don't have enough trumpet players around here, my son is starting a jazz band . . ." that was only about a week into starting playing again; no way I would have gone then. Now it will be a step of courage, but when the right opportunity presents itself, I'll avail myself of it.

The lesson here is just being in the right circles could bring out some possibilities. Edit - Which I guess is your point.
    The trumpet clinic/workshop/whatever you want to call it comes pretty close to what you are talking about here, I think.