Trumpophone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cymrobalch, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Cymrobalch

Cymrobalch New Friend

Feb 9, 2007
    In a concert recently, a friend of mine - for his sake BEN (an alto sax player) decided to combine attributes of our instruments together to see what would come of it. Noting that a trumpet mouthpiece on a Saxophone does not work, we did the vice versa and put the saxophone mouthpiece on the trumpet. As I cannot play sax, my friend blew through and, I'm telling you, it sounded pretty good and he went through the harmonic series.

Do you think this could be harnessed into some kind of new hybrid instrument:thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you think trumpet players ar paranoid about mouthpieces, check out the woodwind players with their reeds. The one that just split was the best sound and projection they ever had - if you need excuses, it may just be the way to go!

3. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Eddie Harris used to do that in the 70's.

4. Nordic Trumpet

Nordic Trumpet Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2006
    Norway
    Hey, this is not a bad idea! :-P

5. techboy10

techboy10 New Friend

Sep 4, 2006
    Western Massachusetts
    Two of my friends did almost the same thing, except they took the bari mouthpiece and put it on the tuba :D. Sounded pretty cool, especially since it was in the middle of rehersal and the director just looked at them with the "wtf?" look. They both started cracking up (as did I).

6. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Yup, it works with a tenor sax mouthpiece and a marching baritone/trombone/euphonium too.

I'm not sure, but this makes me curious if a soprano sax piece will fit on a horn...

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I think I have a recording of Rahsaan Roland Kirk playing a harmon trumpet with a sax mouthpiece. He plays a killer rendition of bye bye blackbird and goodbye pork pie hat.

8. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Roland Kirk too. See The Case of the Three Sided Dream in Audio Color.

Michael McLaughlin

9. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    You have no reason to stop the development of your idea. Persue it with passion. The vibrating reed is doing what your lips would normally do.

Keep us up to date on your discoveries.
    You might want to do a patent search with both European and U.S. patents. It could save you some time.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A vibrating reed does not do what my lips do!
    I do not need to suck on my lips or drown them with a glass of water for 5 minutes to get started.
    I think that my wife might object if she got a reed instead of a kiss......
    A vibrating reed has a finite life - some are even DOA
    The reed vibrates, our lips are more like a switch - opening and closing - both lips influence the sound.
    Double and triple tonguing are infinitely easier when you don't have the mouthpiece IN your mouth.
    Even history is on our side. The saxhorn and keyed trumpet died and reincarnated as a saxophone - why mess with evolution