trusting yourself

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by schleiman, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Playing in a Brass Band, you rarely get more than a bar or two rest in a piece. Whereas in the orchestra the opposite is the case. I get to play a bar or two.

bumblebee and Cornyandy like this.
  2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and yet the whole concept is NOT that I CAN'T do it, but the tension to do the SOLO PERFECTLY, because there is no sax player, no drummer, and no guitar player to blame any of the "extra noise" on --- I mean in a pure trumpet solo -- in front of a LIVE audience -- there is NO ROOM to escape, NO ROOM for an error. YES, I have done 3 or so TRUMPET SOLOS in front of 100 people or more each time ---- It is tense for me, and I pull them off - because I dare NOT MAKE A MISTAKE -- but trust me, I don't like to do straight up solos ---- AND I CANT figure out why everyone always requests these things from me, as I would rather play in a small group (5 or 6 people), or a larger group.

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    My favourite solo is to play "Long Ago and Far Away"

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    If you are playing "better" and you are getting feedback from others that indicates the same thing .... sounds like a win to me. It also sounds like you are enjoying playing more as well.

5. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    This is a good point. I haven't heard that from others yet as it's only been about a week now. But what is better is how I feel about my playing. I will see if anyone notices anything at rehearsal tomorrow night. Thanks for the input.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    keep us posted...