try a little tenderness

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Oct 18, 2011.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Does anyone know if the ballad "Try A Little Tenderness" was ever recorded by any of the great trumpet players of the past or present for that matter? Thank you!

2. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Nope. You'll be the first! :D

3. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
  4. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Thanks SteveB: I'll try to get a hold of that album. Ray Anthony; one of my all time favorites. Not a screemer, but what a beautiful sound. Thanks again!

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I felt a little sorry for Ray Anthony. He was a good player but never seemed to really find his niche, and he couldn't be faulted for trying. Although he did have a few hits, most everything he did seemed to be pretty much a redundancy. I'll never forget a nasty faux musician's profile in downbeat (I think it was written by Ira Gitler) about a type of musician called a "rayanthony", which was interchangeable with many other musicians, etc. Cold. But, yeah, nice sound. His "Man with a Horn" is tasty.

6. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    As an Otis Redding fan if I had serious chops right about now I'd definitely tackle it!

7. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Great song. Also I recomend Misty for a pretty tune on trumpet. BTW bama, how is that Proteus treating you?