try again mystery martin

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by livingston, Jan 6, 2010.

1. livingston

livingston New Friend

Jan 4, 2010
    [​IMG]

2. livingston

livingston New Friend

Jan 4, 2010
    i give up.....

3. livingston

livingston New Friend

Jan 4, 2010
    [​IMG]

4. livingston

livingston New Friend

Jan 4, 2010
    [​IMG]

5. livingston

livingston New Friend

Jan 4, 2010
    Ok! I did it! Martin Trumpet! Serial #179xx. Was This made in 1919? It is in rough shape, can it play again? The valves seem pretty good!

6. livingston

livingston New Friend

Jan 4, 2010
    [​IMG]

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I don't know anything about this model but in general, any horn can be made to play again. It is simply a matter of the cost vs the perceived result (either as a player, a collectible, or as a nostalgic item). There are many good shops mentioned on this forum that can certainly turn it into a showpiece for you. Whether it will be a good player depends on whether it was one when it was new - some never were good players.

Good luck. We'll be interested in the outcome.

8. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Yes, the Martin serial list starts with 17221-1919 (Kirmser). I've seen a lot worse horns. Do the slides pull? Is the leaderpipe damaged? Looks like nice engraving. As CBK said, it is up to you to evaluated the horn's future. An inspection /opinion on necessary repairs, pitfalls, etc. and estimated cost would be the determining factor for me, (If I had any money).:lol:

9. livingston

livingston New Friend

Jan 4, 2010
    Hello! Thank you for the responses! So, in general the horn is all there. There is no damage to the leaderpipe and the valves work really good ( I was actually amazed as it has sat for about 25 years in my mothers closet). Does anyone know if this is a student or professional model? I was thinking professional just because of the cool engraving! And does it have a model name, is it a committee? Also, does anyone know approximately how much it would cost to have a good repair person restore this horn? Thanks again, Livingston.