Try this if you'd like.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bach2112, Aug 15, 2010.

1. bach2112

bach2112 New Friend

Jun 12, 2010
    This isnt much of a question, but more of something to try. I am in high school about to enter my sophmore year. I have been playing for 4 almost 5 years starting in september. I have found something that hashelped me with my tone, endurance, range, and intonation. Every day before i start playing my trumpet, I buzz petal tones on my mouthpiece. I buzz as low as possible. I buzz some of my favorate songs to play down 2 octves. Then when the 30 minutes are up, i pick up my trumpet and begin to warm up. While warming up, i notice that i am hitting pitches in dead center and have an amazing tone. This continues for most of my 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hour practice session. I do the same thing the next day, buzz for 30 and then play. But by the third day, i feel after i buzz and move on to playing, it seems that my endurance has dropped, my tone isnt as full, i cant play as high, and i am not hitting pitches in the center. So on the fourth day i dont buzz before i play, and just begin playing. I feel as if i am recovering from my loss of tone, endurance, range, and pitch centering. By the fifth day, i feel that am hitting higher notes than i has when buzzing, endurance was better than when buzzing, and pitches centered the same as when i was when buzzing. This is something to try to see if this bennifits you. It may not work as it did on because after all, everyone is diffirent. So try it if you want and give me your feedback. Thanks and happy playing:play:

2. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    First, that seems like a lot of buzzing. If I buzz, I only buzz for a few minutes to get things loose, and then put it in the horn. As you said, everyone is different and that's what I do. I think you may be experiencing a buzzing "honeymoon" for a few days then the newness of it wears away as you get used to it. If you stick with it for longer you might get better results...or not...who knows. Sounds like a mental thing to me.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you are PRACTICING at least 6 hours a day, that much buzzing may be OK. If not, you need to be PLAYING more.

More important, the intense focus on the chops is not helpful. Endurance, range and sound are more dependent on your breathing and body use not the workout your face gets.

4. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    let us remember "It's quality, not quantity"

5. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Buzzing can be very helpful for warming up, and getting a feel for how to move around at the start of the day (or at any point). Also I find it helpful because then I don't affect my sound concept with a terrible first trumpet note of the day.

Also it definitely does seem like you are playing too much (probably) in a single sitting. More rest in your practice routine might be helpful

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    It seems you're buzzing the mouthpiece much too long. When you buzz on only the mouthpiece without the resistance of the trumpet, you have a tendency over blow which will cause your lips to spread.If you're going to buzz on the mouthpiece, only do it for maybe a minute tops,and then only do it softly to get he blood flowing .
    Your practicing times are okay,it's your mouthpiece buzzing that's being over done.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hey Bach 2112, I'm also a notorious buzzer. Not half an hour at a time, but here and there throughout the day. I think it helps, especially for those like me who haven't been playing very long. Getting away from the trumpet for a few days and only buzzing w and w/o the MP helped fix a cheek puffing problem. It's a real workout for the lips and takes a lot of air to buzz melodies.

What about buzzing WITHOUT the mouthpiece. Don't ever see much talk about that in here. Can everyone do it??? Can everyone buzz a simple melody w/o the MP? Is it only useful when you're getting started? :dontknow:

Turtle

btw, my private teacher showed me how to buzz a siren sound on the MP, sounding quite real (he mentioned that kids usually enjoy it). Difficult at first, I'm getting it. The trick is to angle the MP slightly down (when you go up in pitch) and up (when you go down in pitch). That's a real workout and helps with range.

8. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Free buzzing, w/o mouthpiece, is completely different from playing the horn. The lips buzz when you play the trumpet not because you are making them, but because the sound wave inside the horn is reflecting from the bell and causing your lips to puff air at a periodic interval. Try playing a note on you horn and then pull the horn away while still blowing and keeping your embouchure the same...you won't be buzzing. Then put the horn back while still blowing and your embouchure set...you will instantly buzz. I find it irrelevant because it is so different from playing. Of course there are always two sides to every issue and this is no exception. Some use it with apparent success so if you think it works for you...more power to you.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Actually, I can take away the trumpet and still be buzzing. It was the first thing Silvestre (a Mexican jazz player who gave me my first lesson) did ...... Buzz his lips then slowly add the MP, no difference to the buzz. He did this with the trumpet too.

It doesn't seem different at all to me. My buzzing without the MP is exactly the same ebouchure I use to play the trumpet. Believe me, I spent 2 long weeks staring into a mirror to fix a bad cheek puffing problem. There's little or no difference.

Turtle

10. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    Hey just wondering people that are saying the resistance is different between the horn and just the MP, what about BERPS? I have one (I never use it...) but when I do use it you can change the resistance to make it more similar to your horn. Just saying