Trying for pics again of Conn 1953 12B..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sherri, Sep 17, 2010.

1. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    main slide is upside down, just take it out flip it and put it back in

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I wouldn't sell it if you have any interest in playing. That 12b is one of the best horns Conn made. I have a 12a, the cornet version, and it is sweet and easy to play. Your 12b has a small bore which some say makes it easier to play. Very helpful to a new or comeback player. If you do decide to sell, let me know. It will take me time to butter up my wife ;-).

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Sherri,

Don't sell it for $500. You can get more, especially if you have a tech clean it up and get all slides and valves working and positioned right. You have one of the best horns Conn ever built.

It looks to be in good condition.

I have two 12Bs, both older than yours. One is silver plated an one is raw, my having removed the remnants of its lacquer finish. Its here:

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f140/cg-conn-12b-help-50276.html#post463167

Both of mine are terrific playing horns and I won't soon part with either one.

4. Moshe Mizrachi

Moshe Mizrachi Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2010
    You might be right about the price for her 1952 Conn 12B, but when I said $500-$600 I was trying to give a conservative estimate based on what I have seen on eBay all this year, so that I wouldn't get her hopes up on a higher price and then have her be disappointed in case she couldn't sell it for that higher price.

Ebay prices have been down 30-40 percent on almost all vintage instruments all this year due to the bad economy in the United States.

For example, just last week a silver-plated 1925 Conn 22B with 22B on the receiver and in excellent condition sold on eBay for something like $150.
    It would have sold for at least twice that much a couple of years ago.

And I recently saw a Conn 36A Concert Grand in very good condition sell on eBay for less than $200.
    Probably would have been more like $350 a couple of years ago.

The only instruments on eBay that have maintained the same prices as a couple of years ago are those vintage instruments which are unique or extremely rare, instrument models that only appear once every 10 years or so.
    Such as if an incredibly rare 1960's Conn 9A cornet were to appear on eBay. It would go for an insanely high amount regardless of how bad the U.S. economy is.

So, although Conn 12B's in very good condition only come along once a year or so on eBay, I don't think that they are rare enough to be able to buck the lower price trend in our bad economy.

But eBay prices are unpredictable, fluctuating for no apparent reason from day to day, week to week, so it is impossible to accurately predict what any specific instrument will sell for.

So, it is quite possible that you are right about her ability to sell her Conn 12B for more than $500-$600, but I just wouldn't want to guarantee it, though.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    There's a 12b that been on ebay a looooooong time.Started at 1200, yea right! They dropped it to 1100, then 995 or best offer, and currently it's at 895 or best offer (they have refused all offers). In that time frame, at least a half dozen 12b's have sold on ebay, none that i recall broke 700, and that was awhile ago and it was pristine (theirs is not). I think she should keep it and play it.

6. Moshe Mizrachi

Feb 17, 2010
    A further example of prices being way down on vintage instruments due to the bad economy is...

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

A beautiful 1961 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet, with trigger and with copper under the nickel, and case in great condition, too, sold on eBay for only $242.50 plus shipping.
    A couple of years ago it would have sold for twice that much.

So this is a terrible time to try to sell a beatiful Conn 12B or any other vintage instrument, too.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    But it is a good time to buy one :D.

8. Moshe Mizrachi

Feb 17, 2010
    Hey, look, Everybody who needs a loan, tobylou8 has money !!! :-o

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008