Trying out for a Drum Corps...maybe...

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by silverstar, Jun 26, 2005.

1. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Ok, so I'm thinking about trying out for Phantom Regiment this November.

What do I need to know about DCI, drum corps, and things in general? Anyone here marched/march with a corps?

I'm really excited about this and at the same time pretty unsure about it.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Lara :D

2. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I believe there was a drum corps thread earlier this year somewhere in this forum, maybe worth lookin at, best of luck!

3. docfox

docfox New Friend

Feb 5, 2005
    Lara,

You aim high. Phantom is a great corps often finishing in the top 5 and has one world championship to its credit.

Things you need to do to march in a top corps. Be in very good shape. Push-up, crunches, running, and really working your legs into shape so you don't wear out.

If you don't own it, I would buy the technique book "Pares Scales" and work the scales over and over.
    http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/smp_detail.html?sku=HL.4470540

I would also buy the DVD from the Breathing Gym.
    http://www.windsongpress.com/breathing gym/breathing gym.htm

The authors, Pat Sheridan and Sam Pilafian, worked with Phantom Regiment this year. They are great exercises. Breathing is also important to endurance AND range.

Practice. You must be the best trumpet player at your HS by the end of the year. Blow them all away! Do that, and be mentally prepared to eat, sleep, and march for 3 months. The reward is worth it. Ask anyone who has ever marched with a corps.

Jim

4. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Do it! It will be one of the greatest thing you have done, and ever will do. The biggest thing is probably time comitment, like docfox said, be prepared to eat, sleep, march. If you join, drum corps will be your life for the next 3 1/2 months. It's alot of hard work, but just like anything else, the more you put into it, the more you get out of it.
    70 years from now, you'll be sitting there in your rocking chair with your great grand kids on your lap and you'll be telling them stories about drum corps, it will be "the" thing that you will always look back on when you're older and think, "oh yeah... good times..."
    But then again, I don't know how people think when they get older... I'm only seventeen...

5. silverstar

Jan 6, 2005
    Hey...I'm only 17 too..lol.

I really think I can do this...

I was looking at the schedule they had up for this year (about camps and move-in and such) and I noticed that if I do make it in, I'll miss my own graduation ceremony. Oh well, if I make it into Phantom Regiment, it would be worth it!

Ok, I'm looking into the links above, and I'll probably have the book/DVD soon. The breathing one will go along with my lessons anyway, since I'm re-learning how to breathe correctly. (Without tension and excess pressure)

I'm gonna do it! I'm going to try as hard as I can and I'm going to hope I make it!

:D

Lara

6. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Well, if you try as hard as you can, I'm sure you'll make it.
    One of the things they told us at The Academy auditions is that they wern't actualy looking for good marchers/musicians, because they can teach you that once your in, but what they are really looking for are people with the self confidance and the right attitude and desire to march corps. So with an attidude like yours, I'd bet you have a good chance.
    Good Luck with your audition, we're all rooting for you!

7. docfox

docfox New Friend

Feb 5, 2005
    Lara,

They make exceptions for people to be gone for graduations and stuff. If you make it, they will let you go to your graduation -- but you will have to hussle back!

Jim

8. silverstar

Jan 6, 2005
    My Mom reminded me, however, that I should have a job and be making money for college...

BUT I WANNA MARCH IN A DRUM CORPS!!!! :cry: *sniffle* :lol:

So, I'm off job hunting (tomorrow, since it's Sunday and most of the places I could possibly get a job are closed) and I'm also selling some stuff on ebay. I have a lot of things from my middle school days (like manga (Japanese comic books) and CD's and such) that I have outgrown and no longer need.

I'm going to have to have a job during the school year..but hey, it's all worth it! I've got my heart set on this...there's no stopping me now! heh heh....

Lara :D

9. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    reminds me of the Tower of Power song...."ain't nothin' stoppin us now"

10. silverstar

Jan 6, 2005
    AHHHH! I love TOP!

Lazorphase...you rock. :D

Lara