Trying something different

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I've recently engaged in something that I am now of the belief all should try at some point. It's a:

1) Theatre production that doesn't have a pit, but utilizes a
    2) Small combo (guitars, drums, trumpet, fiddle) that
    3) Plays with no written music whatsoever and
    4) It's all done for free, volunteered.

Of course, I'm probably a little late on some of this, I'm sure others have run into this before, but I've got to say, what a great experience! You get a chance to play in a really different, live environment; to listen and jam with guitars on new songs, training your ears, chops, fingers, brain; and an opportunity to give the gift of music. I find myself really enjoying it, not being paid never a factor, and it's really a load of fun. Just thought I'd share this experience with you all, and maybe get some thoughts/ similar experiences.

2. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Hi Mark
    We are just in the process of producing such a show. Theme is 1980s pop songs.
    We have formed a combo with elec guitars x 2 elec base ...elec piano/Hammond organ...drums of coarse with 2 x trumpets 1 x trombone 1 x Tenor sax.
    This certainly different to what I am accustomed too but great fun neither the less.
    We have been going through the charts the last few weeks and have just been going through with a few of the singers lately to see if the arrangements work......... They have been done by the piano player/ music director of the show.
    Your right about the fingers and brain combo....playing in a lot of sharps and flats key signatures.
    But the more I go through them its less of a problem.
    This is an armature show and will be played through a few weekends with all proceeds going to charity.
    I just reckon the more opportunities that I can play with different styles of music the better for me.
    Playing music is such a great escapism for me nothing is more fun in doing something that I love.
    There is a lot of opportunities for me to play from Big Band through to the local Orchestra but afraid that leaves little time for me to better my self personaly as a player.
    I spend a fair bit of time at home practicing after working at the slave pit.
    Using the brass band as my social outlet .
    Just not enough hours in the day ..trying pay off a mortgage etc and doing what I love
    I think I have rambled on enough Mark its great that you are enjoying it
    cheers

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Busking can be fun too:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. MSfortissimo

MSfortissimo Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Busking is the best.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My rule of thumb is that if I do it for free, the payback has to be good for my soul. Never gone wrong.

Mark, it sounds like a cool thing. Keep us posted!

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    So it seems that 95% of the music I play is FREE and I enjoy it. That said, in this area there is never that many in the audience. It would be futile for me or anyone to attempt busking on the streets of Jackson. I attended a high school band concert a couple weeks ago. On stage were 82 performers. Tickets sold were 67. That quashed me!

My senior high school year, we played 3 spring concert performances, Friday night, Saturday matinee, and Saturday evening. All seats were sold, though I'll admit there were some unoccupied. I had to call the band director to accept a check in payment for a whole center row. Our venue was fabulous IMO, a stage on which I was on many times during all my public school years. Carnegie Hall in New York it wasn't, but Carnegie Music Hall it was (both funded in construction by Andrew Carnegie) Yes, you can see it on internet at Http://www.carnegiecarnegie.org

7. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I'm curious about #3 - no written music. Does somebody just call out a key and a style, the drummer lays down a beat, and then you all just go?

8. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    They have songs that are set, so we know the style and key already, the drummer lays down the beat, and then we go, yes! It's great :D
    We had an interesting moment when the singers started, had an E pitch played, but then proceeded to sing F, and so I was playing in G minor instead of F# minor. It worked out, we adjusted pretty quickly.

The big night is tonight -- the Gala, when the mayor is proclaiming this week "Gainesville Haiti Week". Woo! So far all has been good. I feel like doing this for 4 hours a day is really helping my improvisation..

9. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Mark, I consider this as a very mature decision. You have now entered into the improvisational zone. It further cements your character and integrity. It will surely open more doors for your future. Charity is greatly appreciated and greatly rewarded. Best Regards!

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    A, Peter, you've got a million of 'em! Love them, though!!:D;-):roll: