Trying to build endurance - How much rest??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rviser, Jan 21, 2009.

1. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Ok, so I usually play out in clubs and bars for about 4 hours Mon. through Thurs. I can tell that this is helping me as I usually feel a little bit stronger each week. However, I'd like to just get in the shape of my life, so that I could go all out on each solo and not have to hold back a bit to keep from blowing my load prematurely. Would it be possible for me to do some additional practicing on the days of these gigs, perhaps earlier in the day, and still be rested by that night? I use Chop Saver and can tell it helps heal the lips a bit so that might help, but I don't want to overdo it. I'm also going to be getting a Wedge mouthpiece soon and am hoping that will help w. the endurance and lip swelling, but in the meantime.....

Any thoughts?

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    When I was working 6 nights a week playing lead in a big band ,I used to play The Maggio method, in the late morning-early afternoon depending when I got up and was ready to play lead that night, by the way they were all 4 hour gigs, and sometimes on the weekends we would have a double on saturday or sunday.

3. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes, You can and you should be fine. I always liked to have 6-8 hours ideally between a nice practice and and a show. Really though many people do fine with just 4 hours as long as you donot over do it. Start of easy witht he extra practice say 15-20 minutes after you have you morening coffee and brush your teeth etc....... Youc an gradual build it up. The more time you have between the two the more sure your recovery will be. Eventualy you will get to a point where you do not need much more then 20-30 minute break to refresh the chops unless you are just playing your brains out constantly and useing too much presure fromt he begining of the show. It is fine to add presure as you fatigue to make the gig but just bare in mind that as you add presure you tire faster which menas more presure etc....... It is a vicious cycle so try to put it off as long as you can in terms of adding the presure to keep playing the gig.

Any time you get to take a brake take one even if it is just 5 minutes here 10 minutes their etc...... I like to drink hot un sweetened black tea it is used to relax my chop's like a hot bath does your muscles. I know some guys that like cold water with ice and a twist of lemon. What ever makes the chops feel better. Just make sure that if you one of those cold drinklover's that you stop it a few minutes before your break is up or your lips will be too cold to blow right. That is another reason I like hot black beverages. Not only is sugar bad for your trumpet but sugar will make you mouth and lips get sticky feeling faster adn you do not need that.

brem likes this.
  4. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Thanks for the tips. Al, which specific Maggio do you play through? The endurance one? I found a small book on the Maggio method in my music collection, but it is only lesson 1.

5. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    I usually whistle while doing other things, like driving car. that improves my endurance.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I do not practice on gig days, period. I get payed for what I do and the payer deserves 100%.

Muscles are built by tearing them down and letting them heal. Precision is built by getting close to damage, but having the smarts to prevent that. At a gig, you have to do what is necessary and that can set back many weeks of intelligent practice. Just don't do it. The advantages are few and the disadvantages too decisive!

7. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Well, that's good and fine and all. And a very respectable way of looking at the situation. However, at this point, I'm not satisfied with my "100%", so I'm wanting to figure out a way where I can practice more, so that my 100% becomes better, without wearing myself out to where my 100% that night is more like 30%, hee hee. I like everything else I've heard. Interesting thing from yesterday, I did a bit of recording with my band from about 2:30 pm to about 5:30, nothing too straining, just some light playing and a few loud/intense solos. Last night I played a gig from 9 to 1 and was outstandingly pleased w. my energy, endurance, and intensity all night. Never did I really have to hold back at all and finished strong. Almost makes me wonder if by getting a little loosened up and warmed up early in the day, followed by a resting period, puts me in better shape for a long night of playing??