Trying to change things here

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I have never claimed to be a master at the trumpet. If I did, I would be wrong. There are few people in the world I would consider a true master of the instrument.

2. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    Any great musician will be considered great by far more non musicians than musicians. Don't for one moment tell me that the paying public who go to the gigs of Wynton and Phill Smith and countless other greats are ignorant of what they are listening to, just because they can't play. I know if someone is bullshitting on the band stand, I am also absolutely sure when I am, I certainly don't need anyone to tell me.

Teaching or conveying how to improve should be the domain of the experts.

3. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Amen

4. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I am an amateur trumpet player, but have been a professional musician. I don't think playing is the end all be all of evaluating sound. Someone who's listened to and played with tons of trumpet players might have a valuable viewpoint. It's the ability to listen. Now in reference to technique, I can understand you wanting references of where people are coming from. I even understand that you are angry at a few of them. But Ted is right, you need to alter your method of conveying your request, as people tend to ignore overly accusatory and confrontational rants. It depends on how badly you actually want to achieve your goal which I assume is to get people to post videos of themselves playing. Good Luck.

5. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    Chet Fan,

I do believe that TM has been very supportive of your efforts. When you put yourself out there you have to have the strength to take on the chin. That is how people in the arts get better. In my younger days, many a bodybuilder followed Arnolds' example and cut our sweat pants off at the knees to expose perhaps the most common weakness and neglegted muscle: the calves. We would then rechannel the resulting criticism into blood, sweat, and tears effort to improve our weaknesses. Every beginner focuses on building big arms which is analogous to "high notes" in the trumpet world. In bodybuilding, it is all about balance and symmetry. In the trumpet world, I can see now that it is all about creating a beautiful sound and pleasing articulations. Then, you gradually build your range, like you would muscle mass.

I would not rush to call people out. I would get a teacher and rechannel your energies towards working on your weaknesses. My wife does not play the trumpet or know anything about music, but she can tell when I am "not on my game." When I am not, she tends to go for a fitness walk with the dog who is "whining" at the time. The dog knows nothing about the trumpet either but recognizes an unpleasant sound. ;-)

DK

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is kind of a moot point. Even if somebody posts something, what does that prove. Do you even know if it is them? Octaves can be added at a mouse click - with freeware.

No, I will not collect recordings of TMers and stick them. You can start a thread and whoever wants to insert a link is free to. If there is a lot of interest, the thread stays alive for a very long time.

As far as calling anybody out, this is an open forum and within very liberal boundries, you are free to call most anything. Those of us with nothing to prove, just smile behind the keyboard and think about puberty.

As far as you go, the best lesson in my opinion would be to use reception more than transmission.

I do not understand the need to "change" anything here. The forum does continually change with every personality that posts regularly. Those that come and don't find what they like, generally have a tough time getting majorities. Still, even the most difficult personalities leave their mark - sometimes long after they have left or been banned.

CTRL-C and CTRL-V is only necessary when you have no ideas of your own. In that case, I recommend ALT-F4. Much, much better.

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    rowuk sez:
    Octaves can be added at a mouse click - with freeware.
    ----------
    So all this time I spent cultivating a stratosphere can now be accomplished by some cheese eating moron in the comfort of his own bedroom?
    That sucks.....I need a beer........stat!!

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Since you included my name in there I'll offer you a different option. Why don't you simply PM your links to the people who say nice things about you? This way you'll get the feedback you're looking for and you'll spare everyoine else from listening/providing feedback.

Otherwise, if you post requests for feedback on an open internet forum (like this one) you're going to get LOTS of feedback from all kinds of people at all different levels. Sometimes the ones who are the LEAST skilled will provide the best feedback (and sometimes not) but there's no way for you to control what you get on an open forum.

As for posting clips here to amuse you? Not likely. I know there are clips of me playing on the net from my drum corps days in the 90's, and perhaps from the community bands I currently play with, but based on your internet presence I don't think I'd value any feedback you'd provide. (I'll probably start posting solo clips in the next year or so when I create my own website...but that's part of a different goal/plan).

I looked back at my post on your previous thread and I apologize if you were offended by it.

"You are a beginner. You sound like a beginner. You play like a beginner. Your tone is weak. Your phrasing is weak. Your mastery of the trumpet is at a very basic level.

None of that makes you a bad person, but you need to stop looking for validation here. Just keep practicing and progressing. You obviously have a very strong foundation in music, so you just have to wait for your trumpet chops to catch up."

Reading it back it's more blunt than I intended, but it seemed like you were missing the point that people were trying to make, and I thought it was a language barrier of some kind.

Again, you seem to have a solid foundation in music, and hard work leads to success, so if you keep at it you'll eventually be a great trumpet player.

Good luck.

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    What you need to change is your attitude. When you post a clip of yourself playing and ask for comments, be man enough to take them. I didn't think I was too hard on you, anyway...

If you want to hear me play, watch Jazz by Ken Burns, Episode 1 - I'm playing on two songs there...or, watch Not By Ourselves Alone, another documentary by Ken Burns - I'm playing on two songs there , too. If you want to see me play, buy a DVD of the movie American Drummer Boy - I'm shown playing Eb cornet on two or three songs in the scene at the ball. Or if you're ever driving down I-65 north of Montgomery, stop in at the Confederate Memorial Park - I'm playing cornet on two songs in the interactive display on Civil War music and I also demonstrate 15 or so bugle calls on a period bugle. Or, if you're ever at the North American Brass Band Association contest, look me up - I play cornet in a brass band that won our division the last time we competed. I could go on, but I think you get the picture...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  10. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Chetfan,

I admit to enjoying your posts and your demonstrations. It shows chutzpah and moxie, two of my favorite things, and then I don't feeeeel, so bad (in honor of the 50th anniv. of Coltrane's greatest hit).

Seriously, I posted once about you, and I stand by it. Where does one post as you do, ask for critics and not expect criticism, and then go about checking on playing credentials? Makes zero sense. Movie critics are not movie makers, nor do most musicians make fine music critics. They simply have great eyes and ears.

As for me, I play on national jingle packages for radio stations across the country, a few movie soundtracks and I'm a regular sub in the union bands here in LA and a featured player/soloist with two big bands. Certainly not a first call guy, but hey, one day!

Good luck to you,
    Ed

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010