Trying to change things here

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Rowuk!!!

You have taught me even more!!!

I did NOT get the reference to CTRL C and CTRL V until you added ALT 4!

Now I get it!

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I haven't posted clips because they wouldn't be great. I have been studying the trumpet since 2006. I have made a lot pf progress, and I do play out, and get compliments. But still, I am not ready to display my playing wares here. I am 63, and maybe when I grow up I will post a clip.

That said, I do know a lot about music. I learned theory and harmony by age 10, from my Dad whose hobby was composing music. I learned guitar and played the piano for 40+ years. Much of what I learned has helped to advance my trumpet playing, but there is no substitute for practice, and there isn't enough time left in my life to become a virtuoso. Yet I do improve and I do enjoy both playing and learning.

On TM I don't give advice (unless about emotional and behavioral issues). I do share what I have learned, and use the sharing of others to expand my learning. Yes, you need to take time to evaluate what others offer, but there is much good to be had here.

I think a revision of attitude (in the parathenses above) is in order for you, chetfan. Glean what you can that is productive and stimulating from this forum, and take the energy you put into whining and complaining and put it into your playing, and you will make real gains.

You are very fortunate to be able to play music. It is a gift from God. There is nothing like it, and if you appreciate it for the gift that it is, you will express your gratitude by working very hard to fully develop your musical potential.

You will get frustrated. Today my practice session featured poor playing and was accompanied by someone hammering on the other side of the wall. Was I annoyed? You bet! But I will keep at it and more often than not it will be gratifying. I just remind myself that I am lucky to be alive and to make music, and that no path to progress is bump free.

The ride IS bumpy. Hang on and ride the bumps out, and you will prevail in your quest to be a good player. Have patience, be persistent, and do the work. Enjoy it, and be happy, because there is absolutely nothing to be gained by being frustrated and miserable, and you are the one who controls all of that. The power is in your hands. Stand tall, yet be humble. Even the greatest trumpet player on Earth has much to learn, and will have days when the trumpet wins.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    veery sez:
    You are very fortunate to be able to play music. It is a gift from God.

---------
    And as a gift, it can not be stolen. It can only be shared.

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Excellent. Perhaps that's something lost on a lot of trumpet players but music is something that should make us thankful and humble.

CF, you're banking too much of your identity on a part of your life that is just burgeoning (trumpet playing), and you're trying to use TM for something it can't be.

If you want someone with knowledge who is going to be both supportive and critical in a constructive way, get a teacher. It will serve you and your playing much better than an internet site and self recorded video clips.

Also keep in mind that, no matter what, it takes years for one's playing to mature and become pleasant to hear. There is no way around it. Stop looking for gratification now, it's not going to happen. Wynton started playing at age 7 and had his first shot at the Haydn at age 14. I don't know how good his rendition was, but I wonder why anyone would be looking for something good before having worked at it at least that long, especially adult learners.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  5. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    Lets get to brass tacks here:
    Chet,listen to yourself.
    Then listen to Trumpet players you would like to emulate.
    You then need to make a correlation with how you sound and how the Trumpet players you admire sound.
    If you cant HEAR what separates you from them I dont think anyone on here or anywhere can help you.
    Sorry if im blunt.
    Good luck to you.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    There ya go Chet - lots of positive support for you, and very little negative comment. We here on TM WANT you to be able to advance with your trumpet playing - most do not enjoy responding to you in such a way that upsets you - but most of that depends on you.

Take it easy - give us a break - just consider the qualifications of ALL your teachers to date - do THEY need to "show" their qualifications? I can show you testamur, but does that make me a good teacher, probably not. It is my experience, knowledge, and attitude, and the approach of my students, which creates a learning environment.

Would I post a video of my trumpet playing - nup, even when you ask nicely, although there are plenty of stills showing me playing in bands with quite large audiences, where I have earned a place and continue to participate, and contribute. Many of us are the same.

Stay in good health, practice your little heart out, become a great and humble player. Good luck from us all, I think.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Chetfan,
    I was wondering - who is going to judge my videos (when or if) I put them on here (youtube)? I mean will there be a panel of experts, pros, or peers -- like myself who is an amatuere (whoops I forgot to spell check).
    I was also wondering - if we are going to offer prizes for first through third place, is there an honorable mention?
    wait a minute -- will there be different categories (ie. jazz, rock, classical, christian, blues, etc.)?
    what if someone doesn't like me? should I call them out? People have already dismissed some of my posts before -- should I dislike these people?
    I will have to consider maybe playing a song --- and will everyone play that same song in the same key --- so it will be easier to compare??
    maybe I can go from here -- to that show "America's Got Talent" -- I would get TV exposure then --- maybe that would lead to a gig ---maybe that is a great idea after all.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    For those that are new to TM and those that have forgotten, I reiterate to say I've not been able to play since July 2008 due to dental & health issues ... but once these are resolved I'll be back at it. Personally, I can't remember when I've practiced more than a hour a day. Now start that with 20 minutes playing / practicing and 20 minutes resting / studying. Thus I reached fulfillment of my practice regimen. in 1 hour and 40 minutes. Yes, I accept critique from anyone ... both good and bad and take no issue with the negative. I may not have professional intruments or state of the art recording
    equipment but I make do with what I have ... and most of all I personally enjoy it and really am not concerned if others don't. I've been playing and am not trying to make a living doing so, not that I'd refuse a dollar or so now and then, but not having to work at it makes life easier.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I was wondering if I put up a video -- if I get the highest clearest note -- am I definitely a winner? I mean RANGE is the whole thing to determine who is better.. Or wait a minute ---- maybe having paying gigs is a sure sign of the winner. Or wait a minute -- maybe being an orchestral player and "teamwork" would make me a winner. By the way what is first prize???? bragging rights, $, a gig, a bigger ego?

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    kingtrumpet asks:
    Q)I was wondering if I put up a video -- if I get the highest clearest note -- am I definitely a winner?
    ---
    A)It just depends. You have to "look" like its a really high note
    ----------------------------------------
    Q)I mean RANGE is the whole thing to determine who is better.
    --
    A)Absolutely
    -----------------------------------------
    Q)Or wait maybe having paying gigs is a sure sign of the winner.
    --
    A)This will help but, you have to have the high notes.

Q)Or wait a minute -- maybe being an orchestral player and "teamwork" would make me a winner.
    --
    A)No one gives a rat's ass about teamwork. Its all about the high notes.
    Q)By the way what is first prize???? bragging rights, $, a gig, a bigger ego?
    --
    Great question! What is First prize?
    A)You get to sit in with the New York Philharmonic Orchestra next to Phil Smith and show the trumpet section the "correct" way to play the trumpet.
    --
    Entrance to this one time special event is limited so act fast!!
    To apply:
    Send 29.95 USD to:
    Rowukapalooza
    1313 Mockingbird Lane
    Berlin, Germany

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010