Trying to get a sweeter sounding tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Aug 13, 2009.

1. Rctrumpet1993@aol.com

[email protected] New Friend

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson fl
    I've got a full, big macho tone going on right now. But I want to sweeten it up, how would I go about doing this? My tone is great for our marching season and has a nice clear dark tone. Can you tell me about any pros that are nice smooth and well "sweet".

Thanks, Rodney Colvin

2. y0da777

y0da777 Pianissimo User

Feb 28, 2009
    do i live here?????
    you mean liek, bright?

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Herb Alpert

4. y0da777

y0da777 Pianissimo User

Feb 28, 2009
    do i live here?????
    wat do u mean by listing a name?

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    To get a fine sweet tone is far from easy. It requires that you practice a LOT, lighten up on lip pressure and play at a reduced volume. Listen closely to recordings of trumpeters that have what you want, then emulate them. As I stated, it ain't easy, but, it will be productive.

OLDLOU>>

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I agree, sound is a concept we have in our head. By listening to a LOT to players you want to emulate, you will start to sound a little like them. It's much easier to do once you have the sound ingrained in your ears. Itls all in you not the horn.

7. Rctrumpet1993@aol.com

[email protected] New Friend

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson fl
    Now I listen to phill smith, he is great, I guess this week being our band camp won't help lol, I like the dark tone, but I find it a little edgy at higher volumes. I would also add more color to my tone. That sweet lulaby (I know that's not the correct spelling) lovely sound, and not as much as yelling at anyone. The Xeno really helps get a great full tone but I just want to get my tone a little flavorfull, kinda I hope someone here understood this rambeling miss of a post.

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Well, I think you're the best one to answer that question. Your definition of dark vs. bright or sweet vs. edgy could be vastly different that anone elses.

I'd suggest going to youtube or iTunes and listening to as many pros as you can. Use that material as a reference when you develop the sound you're looking for...

9. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    It sounds to me like you have an idea of what you want to sound like in your head. From there you just have to practice and experiment. There's no on/off switch, but through trying and doing, you can rearrange your tonal concept. That's my take on it.

10. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    Lets not forget that the sound a player hears is NOT the sound the listener hears.
    A recording is the easiest solution to that.