Trying to get a sweeter sounding tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Aug 13, 2009.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Rctr,

Don't forget that a big part of what we sound like is actually about articulations and ending notes. Practice different articulations, don't forget the classical endings of long notes (dim+small vibrato). Listen to people like Phil Smith (as you already mentioned it), Maurice Andre and such, and take attention to what they do (as I said articulation and phrasing wise). Then try to emulate. Make sure that you play on the sweet spot (or another word for that is the pitch center) on every note which should make your sound more vibrant and lively. Don't force anything - pressure or dynamic wise.

2. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I actually have the same problem as the OP. Many explain my tone as like a knife when I play. When we play high stuff, especially in marching, people envy it, but I always have a bite during lower notes too. It sounds excellent in jazz, but people say when i play ballads, my tone sweetens but I have a bite at the end. Can someone explain how to add vibrato to my tone? Is it very noticeable from behind the horn, or would recording it somehow help?

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Listen to great trumpeters and trust your feelings. It's simple.

4. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Bobby Hacket, Warren Vache, Don Goldie, Charlie Spivak.

Gil Johnson (Blumine from Mahler 1) Herseth (Mysterious Mountain) etc etc

It's mostly in your head, so listen a lot and put some good stuff in your head.

5. Rctrumpet1993@aol.com

[email protected] New Friend

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson fl
    I have a nice little vibrato going on, it's not perfect, but it's pretty sound. My articulations got so much better over the summer, I got rid of all the fuzz from them. I've been working on double tonging but I can't tell if it's clean. Any tips?

6. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Your approach to playing is critical. You need to continue to use good breath support, but hold back and don't over-power the horn. Learn to soft-tongue the notes ( a common jazz technique) and slow down. You're looking for a relaxed feel, not the powerful feel of just wailing away.

As others have said, you have to have the concept. I can't suggest any classical players (not my genre), but I would suggest Chet Baker and even Chris Botti as players who use a mellow sound that may be what you're looking for.

7. Rctrumpet1993@aol.com

[email protected] New Friend

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson fl
    Soft tounguing notes?

8. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    i would love to hear about soft tonguing.... that could help with my up coming jazz tryouts in a few months :)

9. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    That's the best I can come up with for a description. You don't really stop the air flow with your tongue, but use the middle of the tongue against the roof of your mouth very lightly.

Again, it's all about the concept; you have to use good support and play at a decent volume, but relax a bit and don't attack the notes or the horn.

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    From my perspective, when it comes to sound, I must first get the sound in my ears. I would recommend listening to Mendez.