trying to get back into play again

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by marines10, Jun 2, 2010.

1. marines10

marines10 New Friend

Jun 2, 2010
    okinawa japan
    hello i have been playing since the 6th grade but i almost completely stoped after high school due to going into the marine corps. over the last four years i havent had the time to start playing a lot again but now i am going to have the time and i was wondering how i would be able to help me get back into things

2. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    I recently came back to playing after a lay off of almost 25 years. I suspect that for you it will not be as difficult due to your age. The two most important things for me was to accept that growing as a trumpet performer is a process and the technical part of playing I was able to do in the past had to be re-earned (and yes, I did mean re-earned).

For me, buzzing using the Stamp method and long tones helped a lot. Then I moved to the Clarke technical studies doing the work slowly and softly. Since you were a Marine, I suspect that you will not have the breadth issues, but hot yoga worked well for me too.

One other thing: Have patience. You will not sound as well on the second day as you did on the first; and it will be weeks or months before you find the center that you had before. And then you have to grow.

I need to attend to my practice every day to progress. But then again, I'm old.

3. marines10

marines10 New Friend

Jun 2, 2010
    okinawa japan
    ok well i am still in the marine corps and that info helps a lot thanks

4. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Marines10,

I agree with jmberinger and I believe that his comment about your age will prove to be a positive factor for you. There's a bunch of great info regarding the "come back player" on this forum and a core of great professionals providing. I imagine that the same advice will apply directly to you with the benefit that you will likely recover more quickly than some of us old guys. You have not been away for too long and your muscles will likely respond more rapidly (and you probably don't waste any time wondering how your 7th pair of reading glasses got into the frigerator...your mind is still functional; what I am getting at). Jump back in there Leatherneck!

I too am a Marine and I stopped playing upon graduation from college for essentially that reason (and growing family and deployments, etc...Sailors are great folks, but I think they may have drawn the line had I cranked up the old trumpet aboard one of their amphibious assault ships; may have been asked to step off the quarterdeck prior to the ship's arrival at the pier...although, the Ship's Whistle sounds just like a big tuba, so maybe I should not have been so hesitant). Now attempting to recover the lip after 28 years without playing. The physical recovery has been slower than I had anticipated, but very similar to the accounts that I have found here on the forum (from similar aged guys). I bet you will do better. Patience and discipline, though. There is a degree of frustration involved, but it is well worth it. You know that drill. Start back with the basics. Long tones, slurring scales, etc.

Semper Fi.

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Marines10

Welcome to TrumpetMaster!

Enjoy your time here, and

THANK YOU for your service.
    [​IMG]

6. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    George C. Scott as George S. Patton!! What a great match that was (except that Scott's voice was much more manly than Patton's actually was).

"Now, I want you to remember, that no #$^&$#@ ever won a war by dying for his country!"

Pertinent and timeless advice for you, marines10. ;-)

7. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Marine 10,

Also, if you are stationed where there is a Marine Band, try to meet up their members. They can mentor and assist you in getting to where you want to go.

Semper Fi from a retired Army Captain.

8. Bizsmom

Bizsmom New Friend

May 14, 2010
    North Georgia
    :D

Thank you for your service. Enjoy making music again!

9. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    There's a group called Bugles Across America .... seems there's a shortage of buglers for military funerals, and the Dept. of Defense has decided that in light of this, it's now acceptable to have Taps etc played on a CD player. Bugles Across America is an organization to check into, because you can volunteer to play Taps etc at funerals, and that could provide a backbone of interest to keep you going. I'm considering getting into this myself once I have the skills.