Trying To Get Good...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Big Daddy, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    After seeing Jack Sheldon live a couple times in Los Angeles, I decided to watch this film on him. It was pretty interesting and it's a shame they didn't focus more on his life story. It seemed the main focus was what he would say more then what he would play. It was still entertaining.

YouTube - JACK SHELDON DOCUMENTARY - TRYING TO GET GOOD - Trailer

2. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    I have the DVD, it was recommended to me by an instructor I had who use to play with the Honolulu Symphony he said it reminded him of me. LOL

Don't know why, I think it was just because I was old to him LOL

3. Big Daddy

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Kraken,
    Did you like it?

4. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Yes I liked it, it was reflection of Jack and his life long struggles, it is tantamount to Jack never really knowing with in himself just how great he really is. The movie showing him still taking lessons from an instructor that was 90 yrs of age, don't recall his name. He is one of the great unsung heros of the trumpet in his own right.

5. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Wow I gotta get this.

6. Big Daddy

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
  7. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    His instructor was, and is, Uan Rasey. He's not unsung by any means, truly one of the great, most sought after players of his day, and now a leader among private teachers. His b-day party last year, during which he was given an award by the ITG, was attended by over one hundred of the best players in the country, and Wayne Bergeron and his band along with Carl Saunders played.

As for Jack, the movie was very much about his life. Not sure what video you were looking at. He had devastating blows, losing a child, a marriage, giving his life for his career yet maintaining an unparalled sense of humor and an ability to convey the most romantic line in jazz. He's still at it, playing at JAX in Glendale (next door to my office!) every Thursday night, sounding great. Watch it again.

ed