Trying to improve

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GeorgeB, Feb 13, 2018.

1. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    Back on January 27th I recorded myself for the first time and posted a sound clip in a thread entitled Getting There. I received many kind replies and two very important critiques from Patrick and Franklin. So I made a few more recordings to analyze and work on improving things like breathing, articulation and what have you. So I am posting a sound clip from a latest recording.
    I am using the Windows 10 voice recorder program so it is all pretty basic and I can't make adjustments in sound recording volume, etc., and the mic is a $20 job from Staples, but it will give everyone an idea as to whether or not I have made any improvements.

https://soundcloud.com/user-305412991/i-only-have-eyes-for-you-on-selmer-trumpet

pss, ButchA and cb5270 like this.
  2. ButchA

ButchA Piano User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    George, you can download Audacity and use that to record with. It's a multi-track recorder and is FREE... It can either use the built-in mic on a laptop (not recommended), or you plug in a regular mic (coupled with the 1/8" adapter).

It's what I use to make all my recordings with MIDI file drums, electric guitar, keyboards, horns, etc... and mix it down into a single track.

https://www.audacityteam.org/

Note to anybody and everybody... DO NOT EVER go to the "fake" Audacity website called Sound Forge. They are the ones with the malware type of downloading site. :x Only use the main website by the C++ programmers of Audacity Team (as I linked above).

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    George, in all respect, how do you expect a qualitative evaluation with such mediocre equipment? "Garbage in, garbage out".

4. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    I understand what you're saying.
    I am just wondering If I am moving in the right direction and am hoping to hear from Patrick and Franklin who made some suggestions in that first thread. I don't plan on doing any quality recordings in the future.
    The "mediocre" equipment I am using is fine for my own use just now.

ButchA likes this.
  5. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    So, comparing the first with the second. I understand.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So I don't hear improving in this post. You are pretty much sticking to the form. To me it sounds as though you are just playing the notes. There is very little if any articulation creativity, just basic notes being played. The biggest concern is with rhythm. The length of notes are not steady and the meter is in constant flux. I would work on rhythm first. Tap your feet if you must but try to keep a steady meter. Once you have the meter down, then you can devote attention to articulation and embellishing the lyrical component to the playing. Hope this helps.

GeorgeB likes this.
  7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I'll second Audacity - easy to use, and a little USB mic may do the job.

Get a backing track off YouTube to help you keep the rhythm, plenty to chose from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j8dp7s1crw

Use a tuner, maybe a clip on type to assist you. Use some vibrato to add some variation as well, aim for middle - centre tone to fluctuate your vibrato.
    Relax, and let it flow. Big Points for putting yourself out there.

8. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I don't want to be piling on, but to reinforce what others have said. Rhythm is really a challenge. I would play every day with a metronome if I were you. Also, I don't know if you're just playing clams or if it's intonation, but some notes are, well, weird. I would suggest slow interval playing concentrating on the pitches. I think there are some rudimentary interval exercises in Arban that would be helpful, (not looking at it right now). Good luck.

9. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    Thanks to all who replied and made solid suggestions. I do not have trouble with rhythm when playing with the band, but I guess at home, soloing, I am all over the board with my counting.
    This old coot still has a long way to go, but I will get there eventually because I love the challenge.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to reply. And, Peter, I did have second thoughts about putting myself out there, but I am glad I did. I do not really know what kind of player I was between 1953 and 1965, but I got lots of gigs, made money on weekends and had a grand old time. Today I just want to get to know my instruments better and play to the best of my limited abilities.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Peter McNeill likes this.
  10. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    Probably has something to do with my breathing. It has been my biggest challenge since my comeback.