Trying to increase my range, but am I hitting the note?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joyful Noise, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Joyful Noise

Joyful Noise New Friend

May 15, 2015
    Hey folks,

My teacher has given me some great exercises and scales that are pushing my range up. The only thing is, I'm not sure if I am hitting actually hitting the notes. Do you folks have any tips? Should I use a tuner? Is there some great app available that I don't know about?

Thanks.

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    What is the option of your teacher? Have you tried recording yourself? Try playing chromatically up to as high as you think you can and listen to hear if it sound right

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    You're teacher will be, by far, the best one to ask.

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Listen up! The gods have spoken! But seriously there is a reason for the rank!

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    There are free tuning apps you can use to check your notes. I have an iPhone - sure there are similar apps for other brands/formats.

6. Joyful Noise

Joyful Noise New Friend

May 15, 2015
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'll see if there is an app for Android. I'm looking for something to help me out between lessons.

Cheers!

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Don't "Hit" notes... PLAY them. You are a MUSICian... not a NOTEician.

Make music.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Random high notes are not especially helpful until you can navigate. I would suggest playing easy melodies up to your high notes, then you have orientation!

9. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Yessir! I can play some high notes some pretty well but I have no clue what they are. I'm solid to A above the staff, if I want or need to play it I can, any thing above high c is a crapshoot. High C is sketchy

10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    This is most excellent advice, I hope the OP realizes that. Sound production changes when going up, the stream of air requires more control, the muscle work on the embouchure changes, as does the air column work. All these mechanics have to be anchored by a crystal clear concept of the note. It is indeed difficult to "orient" yourself in the high register, that's why it always seems easier to arrive there through an ascending scale or, even better, a nice melody with an easy to understand harmonic underpinning. That also makes it much easier to hear whether or not you are in tune.