Trying to increase my range, but am I hitting the note?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joyful Noise, Jun 28, 2015.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    This tells me you are not ready to be concerned with range. Follow the practice routine suggested by your teacher and don't worry about the high notes. Meanwhile, you can start doing some ear training, which can be found on the web at sites like musictheory.net. You don't need to have the trumpet for this. And if you can get access to a piano and some basic piano lessons, that will truly expand your opportunity for learning, hearing and understanding what those now-mysterious pitches are.

2. ALWilts

ALWilts New Friend

Jun 26, 2015
    England
    It's better to play 5 notes well, than 50 notes badly.

And I am in neither position at the moment :lol:

3. Joyful Noise

Joyful Noise New Friend

May 15, 2015
    Thanks for the thoughtful replies everyone!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Only if the tune is only 5 notes big.......... Generally, when we we are at a point where "well" becomes reality, we have much more than 5 notes.

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    In the range you are talking about just the normal stuff like flexibilities, long tones, scales, clarke should be enough to develop the chops you are after. Don't just go UP.. work up AND down, and as musically as possible.

6. ALWilts

ALWilts New Friend

Jun 26, 2015
    England
    What I mean is it would be more beneficial to focus on getting the top of the current range strong and work up from there, than spend time reaching for the stars with no other goal than to pull out a couple of high ones, with no context.

I was just trying to make up a new Chinese Proverb...