trying to make my own trumpet stand

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Lazorphaze, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    hi,
    I'm trying to make my own trumpet stand, and really the only materials available are in my dad's shop, which isn't much. just hammers, and saws, and basic shop tools. I was thinking of making it out of wood, and have some glue or nails in it to hold it together, and some felt.
    I don't know how to, so could I get some advice and/or pics?
    thanks

2. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    I'll sell you my three-leg K&M for $10 plus postage!!

You'll need a lathe to form a bell-like stand. That's not a tool that you mentioned. Without a lathe it's going to look pretty clutsy. Also, consider how you're going to fit it in your case. The K&M will fit in your bell.

Dave

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    It might be possible to take a block of wood and drill three or four holes around the bottom to take some metal rods that would form the base; then drill a larger hole in top to take a chunk of broomstick (maybe the handle from that plunger mute you just bought?).

BUT...I've seen a homemade stand that the guy did on a lathe with the legs inserted into drilled holes.... he did it for his flugel. The darn thing falls over every time one of the legs slips out! Don't waste your time on it: the money you spend on a decent stand would otherwise be blown getting your horn repaired. (Unless you are a master craftsman with a shop full of tools including the above-mentioned lathe!)

4. mark935

mark935 Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2004
    Riverside,CA
    My father is a master carpenter and when I'm not using him to help me build an airplane I'd like to get him to build me a huge wall case for trumpets.

Like a gun case, nice velvet. I've always wanted to display my horns like music stores, and I'd probably play more too.

A wooden stand has always been in the back on my mind but not for taking out of the house.

5. dHoff

dHoff Pianissimo User

Feb 13, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    No lathe

There is an alternative to using a lathe that works quite well and packs in almost no space. It requires 1/4 inch plywood and a jig saw or scroll saw.

Cut each piece so that it matches the inside curve of the bell and then flares out to 8-10" then notch the top of one piece 1/2 way down by 1/4" (most 1/4" ply wood is really only 3/16 so match this) and the other pice 1/2 way up from the bottom. The two pieces will pack flat in almost any case and when slipped together will hold your horn steady. You will want to sand the edges so that contact the bell so that there are no sharp contact points and finish with anything you choose.

It's been years since I've done this but it does work well and can be completed in about 20 minutes. Give it an hour and you can make it beautiful! I suggest using good grade of hardwood ply so it will last and take a finish well.

Still, buying a good stand may not hurt either. But when I did this I was watching every penny and making my own things gave me pride.

I'll be happy to fax a sketch if you descide you want to do this and my directions are not clear enough. Just send me a PM.

Good Luck!

-dHoff

6. BellsSuperLube

BellsSuperLube New Friend

Mar 1, 2004
    Denton,Tx
    Lazorphaze,

I would encourage you to go through with making the trumpet stand. Even though your Dad only has basic tools, it will be a good exercise in problem solving and could potentially reveal an innovative idea.

Best of luck,

Justin Bell
    www.bellssuperlube.com

7. Dr G

Dr G Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    My trumpet will stand alone, I guess some are just more trainable than others.

8. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    Hey Lazor,

I've never thought making a trumpet stand(I guess I've never been that creative). Sounds fun. Let me know how it comes out.

JGW

By the way, I don't any clue what tools to use.....I am challenged in that area. :lol:

9. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    um
    I haven't actually started. Maybe I could do it this weekend....
    I was planning on asking this girl I like over to my house, but she might be at her dad's house this weekend...and she might get angry at me for not getting over her....
    hm...
    that sounds like a good plan...
    just need to find the mechanics of a trumpet stand....