Tune Suggestions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by akinsgre, Apr 10, 2014.

1. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hey all.. I'm looking for some music to memorize.

A while ago, Trent Austin posted 400 songs that he had in his repetoire. I may never get to that, but want to get started.

I memorized Afternoon in Paris, but it was a bit obtuse and I was hoping to find some suggestions for easier tunes to get started, but still ones that would be good to have in my toolbelt.

Can anyone recommend a handful of jazz songs or standards that I can get started on

Also, as you can probably tell from this post, I haven't listened to a lot of jazz, so this is also a way for me to build a listening list.

Thanks!

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
  3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
  4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sounds like someone needs to get out to Little E's more often.

Nice jazz tunes that are easy to get under the belt are: "Gentle Rain"; "Freddie the Freeloader"; "All Blue"; "Little Sunflower"; Satin Doll; Beatrice. Start with these.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    About 2 years ago, I came up with a list of about 100 songs I wanted to learn and memorize. The list up to about 200 tunes now. My list is a bit biased to include more "recognizable songs" than "hard-core jazz tunes".

I made my list from sources like Trent's list, Nick Drozdoff's list, and others. Jamey Aebersold has a list in his free Jazz Handbook. I also Googled "top jazz standards" and similar phrases to find sites like these.

Top 100 Jazz Classics Playlist | Best Jazz Songs of All Time - YouTube

100 Must Know Jazz Tunes

In addition, I go to regular jam sessions, and take note of interesting songs I'd like to learn.

Finally, how about Jam of the Week? This is a Facebook site, that's only a couple months old. It's run by Farnell Newton. It's a very supportive environment, definitely geared towards developing players. Each week, there's a new jazz standard to learn and play.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/jamoftheweekgroup/

Mike

6. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yes.. I definitely need to get to Little E's more often. Speaking of which, I notice you're not on the schedule for April.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Our pianist will be on extended leave until June visiting his family in Japan, so we will not start booking again at Little E's until July. Look for us to being back once again for monthly gigs at that time.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Mmmmmm..... Jam.