Tune up system

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dizforprez, May 12, 2005.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
  2. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    Jason -
    I don't have an answer for you, but am also curious as to how well CDs like this work. The other one I have heard about is The Tuning CD, available at http://www.thetuningcd.com/.

If anyone has any experience to share about either product, it will be much appreciated.

3. frank

frank Piano User

May 28, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
  4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    The tuning CD is essentially an electric organ playing a note for several bars, while you play that concert scale, or whatever you want to go through.

I generally don't focus on intonation a whole lot, as I have learned just to get in tune with whatever group I play in.

Van

5. James Smock

James Smock New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Nobody wants to admit they play out of tune. I certainly don't want to... :-)
    Most people just try to listen, and fit with what they hear.

That being said, intonation is pretty dicey issue, even with professionals. It's much less empirical than, say, tounge speed. Often times, opinion comes into play.

I've been using the Tuning CD for months now, and I can honestly say that when used in a consciencious fashion, it provides results. It's uses just intonation, instead of even temperment. This allows you to really get into tuning different keys--a tuner doesn't help in this regard.

For me, it shattered a lot of naivete concerning my pitch.

Considering the amount of money I've spent over the years on gadgets and mouthpieces, I'd say the Tuning CD is easily one of the best expenditures I've made.

James

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    so how is this system different that holding out tonic notes on a keyboard and playing along?

7. James Smock

James Smock New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    It starts out as Perfect Fifths played together. The temperment is a pretty big issue, in my opinion.

Of course, if you're just playing one note on the keyboard, that works too. You just have to tape the key down or something. This is usually enough to dissuade me, though. I've found that, for me, it's best to make things as easy as possible...otherwise I slack off.

James

8. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I have found that my bass trumpet mouthpiece works well for holding the key down :D

9. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    I've got the TuneUp system and don't use it. The notes that are played on the CD are in the lower octave and I've found that I can't really make the transfer and adequately tune the note that I'm playing, which is an octave up. The TuneUp system should have been done for each instrument with the cd provided in the appropriate playing range instead of trying to capture all brass instruments.

10. blutch

blutch Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I absolutely LOVE the tune up system. ITs a fantastic learning and teaching tool.

The tones are especially designed to provide the most resonance in resultant tones and they do just that. You can tune in to the resultant tone very easily with this CD.

I am amazed and how quickly students (and myself) benefit from using this system a short time. Also, its a fantastic tool for ensembles - brass quintets, etc. to do together. It can revolutionalize the ensembles tuning in a short time.

I highly recommend it.

Michael Anderson
    Oklahoma City University
    Professor of Trumpet