Tuning Issues... in Band.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ROGERIO, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Hmm.... and how much of that time is spent "discussing" band business or trying to tune the flutes? :twisted:

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    tuning issues

Precious little time is spent in the "tuning of flutes" or other band issues. We are VERY serious about our music and in rehearsing the interpretation and inflections that our conductor wants on our music. We have been strongly admonished to memorize the notes of all of the selections while at home. The inflections, feeling, and all other interpretation is provided by our conductor. This is why I was so concious of my poor intonation after break time.

OLDLOU>>

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Lucky you, Lou. I wish some of our members would get serious about their playing. Unfortunately, in an "open" Community Band there seem to be some who look to it as an "evening out with the gang" more than others.

Still, 3-1/2 hours seems like a looooong rehearsal.

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Long rehearsal

Trust me. My lips feel like slabs of liver by the time that we call it an evening.

OLDLOU>>

5. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Manny,

Do you have anything to add. I know it must be a matter of concentration... any suggestions?

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, it looks like the sad fact is that this particular band is either the best one you play in or the worst one. I'm tending, unfortunately, to think that it is the latter because a good player should be able to home into a basis of sound that attracts you like a magnet via its intonation.

What does your band director have to say about the isue? Anything? Does he/she know what to do? Will a request from you to the BD be honored for a short devotion to intonation?

I wish I had a better answer and I'm sorry I didn't see your question earlier.

ML

7. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Thanks Manny.... I know, it's a tough question because of the many variables. I will continue to work on my ears with the drone tones to see if I can get better grounded on the center of pitch.
    Maybe then I won't be so easily "confussed" on where / what / who's pitch I actaully use as docking station.

Band Director is not concerned. I may have better luck asking him to actually rehearse the band... :oops:

I will ask the principal player to tune the trumpets and see if that helps.

Thanks!

8. RoccoNut16v

RoccoNut16v New Friend

Oct 11, 2005
    Texas
    I'm afraid all I can do is sympathize. I'm currently sitting 1st chair. The second chair player (a sophmore), sat 1st chair throughout his jr. high playing experience. He's often refered to as a "hot shot," and it's really gone to his head. The guy outright REFUSES to tune to me, which is a mistake because I'm very steady on the pitch (it's always been my first priority, quickly followed by tone). I lean over all the time and tell him to get in tune, especially with me, but all he ever does is get worse. Man do I hate players with no ear! I'm about in the mood to shove a tuner down his throat, though I suppose I'd better turn it on first. In our band, however, I atleast get to sit by the 1st chair trombone, who is just as much of a stickler about being in tune as I am, consequently we're always perfect with each other.

/rant]

Well, atleast I feel better now! :D