Tuning issues

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Feb 10, 2005.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hello everybody,

This may be because I am still an up and coming player, but I still seem to be having a little bit of tuning issues. For all you established pro guys, I know that intonation is one of the most important things to have, but do you find yourselves consiouslly checking your tuning when performing or does it come more naturally with practice? If so, what are some good tuning exercizes that I could try? I am just getting really frustrated with my intonation. I did a National Youth Orchestra (Canada) audition the other day and my sound and rhythm was spot on but my intonation on a couple notes were horrid.

Thanks

also, does anyone know how to get ahold of Paul Merkelo (Montreal) ? I am going to Montreal next week and was wondering if I could arrange a lesson with him. I know he teaches at McGuill but I couldn't find a contact # or email on their website.

Thanks all
    Eric S.

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I know you wanted pros to answer this but I hope you don’t mind me putting in a few things that I found are helping me with intonation.

I have noticed improvements in my intonation lately by getting rid of my tuner and really start to use my ears. To do this I use a keyboard with an organ setting and hold out a pedal note on it as I buzz, do Clarke studies, or flow studies patterns.

For example I might hold out a low G on the key board and start buzzing an octave above, then buzz the scale down( especially mindfully of 3rds and 6ths) to the root. I will also do things like hold out a C then start a flow study pattern on a G and play it though.

Of course the best way to develop it is to probably play in a group that is at a high level, but for guys like me this is the best I can do.

As for Merkelo, have you tried the ITG membership directory?

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    We could help you better if you could be more specific about "tuning issues". That could mean anything. Are you consistently high/low on the pitch? Is it only one note or a half dozen that are driving you nuts? Is it only in the upper or middle or lower register that concerns you? Is it on C or Bb?

You know.. stuff like that.

ML

4. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    thanks dizforprez for you input I will deffinetely try what you suggest

Manny, I just find a few notes in all registers (mostly low C to third space A and my 4th line D through to G on top) to be inconsistant. This sounds like alot of notes to deal with, but I am at the end of my rope. Believe it or not, I am finding it hard to gage sometimes whether I am flat or sharp. Especially when I play in a University band whose tpt section are made up of non-majors. I'll tune on a tuner, but obviously that doesn't help with all notes. I just need to learn how to develop my ear a little better.

thanks
    Eric

5. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    mostly on Bb trumpet although I do play C enough of the time to realize that I have the same problems on that as well.

E.

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Eric,

Here's what I'm going to guess:

Your low C is sharp
    The A is sharp (did you mean SECOND space A, the one above low C?)
    Your D is a trifle flat with you Eb and E also flatter still
    The F above that and the G are sharp.

You're trying to play in the center of the tone where you get a nice buzz to the sound but when you do that the notes are out of tune. Some of the notes I listed can be helped with slides, principally the first to help the high F and the middle A.

For the rest you're stuck, I'm afraid. If your present horn and mouthpiece combination don't fix the other notes welcome to the world of lipping everything up and down. Try some different mouthpieces and see if you get some relief.

A general sense of intonation is accomplished through singing as much as you can in tune. Melodies, excerpts, whatever. There are also some false fingerings like 1-2 for the high G and 3 for the high A that can be helpful.

Good luck,

ML

[/b]

7. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    HAHAHA

Sorry, I did mean my second space A.

Thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can do.

Cheers
    Eric

8. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA
    I can play a very ringing note and be very out of tune! It's a good idea to find that ringing spot on your horn and adjust your intonation from there. Manny has made several great posts regarding this subject, and there is also a fantastic article called "Resonance Intonation" floating around in webland. You should search for it and read it!

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    The article is called "Efficiency through Resonant Intonation". It's by Mark Van Cleave and can be found at http://www.markvancleave.com/mvcresintonation.html

It is, IMO, a superbly concise and accurate article that really gets to the point of the issue.

10. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA

Thanks for pointing the way!!! Oh, and I agree with you about the article!