Tuning note?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cantplaytrumpet, Oct 12, 2012.

1. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Is there a particular note you must set your tuning slide to or can it be whichever one you like?
    I understand that it probably wouldn't be a C#/Db or a D because those always seem out of tune with the rest?
    But any ideas?
    And if so, can you explain why you pick a specific note, or is it just the way it is?
    Thanks. :D

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    That depends a bit on what you are tuning to. In a brass band we always tuned to an open harmonic. C on the stave usually. I don't know but I suspect that the open harmonic is least likeley to be out of tune. With the only orchestra I've played in we tune to the oboe's A If memory serves (concert pitch obviously). When I'm playing with a piano I usially get the pianist to play a Bb so that I can tune my open harmonic and work everything esle form that.

Hope that helps

A

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO it really confounds a Bb trumpeter to tune to a piano Bb, just as it would for Eb and F instruments tuning to the same on a piano (putting aside the fact that most pianos aren't in tune to begin with). The concert A (a C instrument) is A=440 Hz currently in the U.S. Thus, on a Bb instrument, the player adds 2 sharps to the C instrument key signature and plays this note 2 semi-tones (half steps) higher and all is well. Well, outside an orchestra one rarely finds an oboeist to play the A note to tune to.

4. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Here is a chart that might help you determine all the different references for tunning instruments.

[​IMG]

5. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I find that if, after warm up I get a nice relaxed, centered G in the staff and line it up to a tuner, the rest of my horn is in, although brass bands and
    wind ensembles usually use Concert B flat.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The G you mention jNINWI is the starting note for Cat Anderson, which he states is a most relaxed note to play. I would agree. Should not this note be a tuning note?

7. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    That's the note I've used for ever to tune gmonady. And it's my first note of the day. It seems that when I get that note centered and relaxed I'm where I need to be for the day. I agree, it should be the tuning note, I have the horn section in the band using it to.

8. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    In a band you're most likely to be expected to tune to "Concert Bb"--a 3rd space "C" on a Bb trumpet.
    In an orchestra you're most likely going to be expected to tune to a "Concert A"--a 3rd line "B" on the Bb trumpet.
    That being said, I agree with tuning to a "Concert F"--2nd line "G" on the Bb trumpet. It's relaxed, it is played with an open fingering. When using a tuner I usually use the "G" and when the bands that I'm in ask everyone to pick a not in the "Concert Bb" chord--I always pick my "G". For me, it just works.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Link won't work. That's an interesting chart but a little small! :D

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I tune to Concert Bb, low, middle, and high. I'm the only one who tunes in the band! I usually have to bend sharp or flat for the singer! :shock: