Tuning on the fly

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by richtom, Aug 4, 2011.

1. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
  2. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    He knew at the end of his second phrase (on the C#) he was in trouble and was looking for a hole to re-tune. Unfortunately it was a long ways to the first hole.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    He was never in trouble.

Minor changes in tuning are almost inevitable when playing with strings. Stage lighting makes them go sharp, playing outdoors makes them go flat. That can even change in the course of a tune.

Keeping the horn close to the "center" of what is happening just gives us greater security.

4. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Chuck is the man!

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Great observation, Rowuk. However, I observed strings to go sharp on stage even in small halls with no specific stage light...

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    When I was first learning mandolin my wife saw me constantly tuning it and thought it must be the student model mando's problem... I got a very nice mandolin out of this deal... I think because the strings are so tight any little change messes with them... I didn't notice that here because I was too busy listening to Chuck :)

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I have seen countless fine players adjust their main tuning slide while in the thick of it. It's part of the job, and I do it myself even though I do not fit the description in my first sentence.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's the kinda "trouble" I want to be in. There were strings? I was mesmerized by Chuck! ;-)